• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kidnapping anyone?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rhode islandWhat is the name of your state

Ok just to start off I am 5'4 280 and the accuser is 5'6 300+ lbs.
I have no prior arrests or been in trouble with the law.
The accuser has a history of mental illness, is a recovering (lol) drug addict has filed 2 previous false reports to police and admitted to the police she was advertising herself on "backpage"
time frame for providing evidence
I was arrested in july 2017 in Rhode Island and the prosecution has yet to provide evidence as to why I was arrested. The case was originally in District Court where it was dismissed in January 2017 but then re-opened in July 2017. I was arraigned but never have even been questioned with a legal representative present. My pre trial conference has been postponed 3x. I told my Public Defender to make a motion for the case to be dismissed but he has not returned my calls nor as any evidence of my guilt been presented.

Do I have any legal re-course? Can I ask for a speedy trial? Can I have my record sealed? The case was dismissed in District Court and re-opened in Superior during an election year and a year after I was arrested.
Please someone help me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You need an attorney. If your appointed attorney is not working for you, then you should find another one.

quincy

Rhode islandWhat is the name of your state

Ok just to start off I am 5'4 280 and the accuser is 5'6 300+ lbs.
I have no prior arrests or been in trouble with the law.
The accuser has a history of mental illness, is a recovering (lol) drug addict has filed 2 previous false reports to police and admitted to the police she was advertising herself on "backpage"
time frame for providing evidence
I was arrested in july 2017 in Rhode Island and the prosecution has yet to provide evidence as to why I was arrested. The case was originally in District Court where it was dismissed in January 2017 but then re-opened in July 2017. I was arraigned but never have even been questioned with a legal representative present. My pre trial conference has been postponed 3x. I told my Public Defender to make a motion for the case to be dismissed but he has not returned my calls nor as any evidence of my guilt been presented.

Do I have any legal re-course? Can I ask for a speedy trial? Can I have my record sealed? The case was dismissed in District Court and re-opened in Superior during an election year and a year after I was arrested.
Please someone help me.
You were charged with kidnapping a woman you met on Backpage?

quincy

The OP should not answer - the OP is facing serious charges and should speak only with his/her attorney.
You are very right.

But Backpage was seized by authorities in 2018 and prior to its seizure, in early (April) 2017, Backpage had removed from the site their so-called "adult services" (e.g., human trafficking, prostitution, etc).

Just trying to make sense of the time line here. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">