• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

KY - Auto accident no insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unsuregirloh

What is the name of your state? Kentucky
I was recently in an accident that involved hitting a vehicle which caused other cars to wreck into the same vehicle. I was not provided a ticket for the accident. Fortunately, no one was injured but I don't have auto insurance and I don't know what to expect or what I should be doing to minimize the impact this will likely have on my future.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Kentucky
I was recently in an accident that involved hitting a vehicle which caused other cars to wreck into the same vehicle. I was not provided a ticket for the accident. Fortunately, no one was injured but I don't have auto insurance and I don't know what to expect or what I should be doing to minimize the impact this will likely have on my future.
Do you have a job?

FlyingRon

You can expect to be sued by the person you hit. You can expect that when you can't pay the judgment, that your license will be suspended until you pay (or otherwise get released from the obligation).

Just because you weren't ticketed on the scene means little. The state can still charge you for driving without insurance either as a course of dealing with the accident or based on the TC having noticed that you lost coverage. The first offense for that is up to $1000 fine and/or 90 days in jail

zddoodah

Not much of anything you can do at this point. You're likely to get sued (unless you pay for all of the repairs out of pocket) and have one or more judgments entered against you. A very quick and cursory google search indicates judgments in Kentucky are enforceable for 15 years. Depending on how much damage was caused and your financial situation, you might give some thought to bankruptcy.

FlyingRon

No-fault only applies to personal injury protection. He can expect to be sued either by the other driver or the driver's insurance for the damage to the vehicle he caused. Further, since he didn't have insurance, he loses the no-fault protections.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">