• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

KY jury awards

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tommyboy18_uk

I am 20 yo student in Kentucky In july of last year I was involved in a MVA while parked in an empty parking lot using my phone. While on the phone a man came off the road and plowed into me.I was ejected from the vehicle and 2 hours later taken to the hospital where I had a broken clavical and a brain contusion and road burns cuts and scrapes.I had a total of 19 stiches in my head and have 6 inch scares on my back that look like black welps. After emergency room I was shipped me out to a another hospital becuase of my brain contusion. When i arrived at the other hospital the bleeding stopped.I stayed 3 days at the second hospital and was released. I had to wear a brace for 5 weeks and an arm sling for my broken clavicle. There is a police logg report that shows he was reported drunk.I have 15k in medical bills..PIP covered 10k and HIS insurance company is offering 25k for pain and suffereing. ?take?. Who pays jury award in ky? his covereage is 50k100k 50k.whatever that means

T

tommyboy18_uk

last sentence

WHO PAYS JURY AWARDS. That was the last line of my question. Will i have to pursuit the award myself or what?

JETX

"Who pays jury award in ky?"
*** The party who 'loses'.

"his covereage is 50k100k 50k.whatever that means"
*** They indicate the minimum limits on liability coverage the policyholder has:
The first number (50k) is the 'bodily injury per person', the second number (100k) is the bodily injury per accident, and the third number (50k) is the property damage per accident.

T

tommyboy18_uk

so this guy will just fork over a check or will his insurance company..???????????what if i get more than he is covered for....????do they pay over his policy or does he pay the remainder...

JETX

"so this guy will just fork over a check or will his insurance company..???????????"
*** If you win and are EXTREMELY lucky, his insurance company would pay up to his policy limits. As to when, that depends entirely on the debtors wishes. The court does not force them to pay you anything.

"what if i get more than he is covered for....????"
*** Then you would have to go after him for any unpaid amount.

"do they pay over his policy or does he pay the remainder..."
*** He would have to pay personally.... IF he has anything.

T

tommyboy18_uk

so what is the limit of the insurance company....the 50 or the 100k?

JETX

Depends on the number of persons claiming personal injury.
If only one, then $50k
If more than one, then a TOTAL of $100k

JETX

Then each only gets half. Or if more than two personalities, the award would be split proportion to the number of injured personalities.

Personally, I think I would stay away from ANY court action that would involve "KY".
:D

T

tommyboy18_uk

Shows what you know. Kentucky jurys tend to be among the most liberal in the nation. So to stay away from court action in KY might benefit tight a** insurance companies but certainly not the plaintiff. Thanks for you bad advice..:)

JETX

"Kentucky jurys tend to be among the most liberal in the nation."
*** Okay, PROVE IT!!!
Provide ANY kind of statistical report to support your false claim.

"Thanks for you bad advice."
*** Of course, you're welcome. And thank you for proving your ignorance by not recognizing absolutely correct LEGAL advice when it was provided.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">