• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

L1-h4-h1

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aspengal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Dear Lana,

Kindly clarify my question. Below are key dates.

1st L1 approval date : Jun 2003
1st US arrival date : Jan 2004 (and on a payroll in US since then)
L1 Extension date : July 2006-July 2008
Changed to H4 October 2007 till current

Questions

1. I have been on a US payroll only for 36 months. The rest have been on H4. Am I even eligible for the H1 quota in 2009?

2. If I apply for H1 in Jan 2009 then when is the earliest I can start working? When would I get the receipt? is it in after April when the freeze the application process?

Thanks!

ImmigAttyLana

If you were in L-1B status, you have a maximum of 5 years in that status. In H status, you are allowed a maximum of 6 years. The L and H times count toward the same maximum. You'd max out of your 6 years in January 2010 according to your post, I believe. You are subject to the H-1B quota and the earliest a petition could be filed would be April 1, 2009 with a start date of employment of no earlier than October 1, 2009.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">