• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Labeled a smoker...need advice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

architect32

Massachusetts

I was in the process of taking out a sizeable life insurance policy on myself and had a med technician stop by the house to take blood and ask me some questions. My initial estimate for the policy was about $100.00 per month 0r $1,200 per year.

During the process she asked, "Do I smoke cigarettes?"
"No, never." I responded which is true. Even in the experimental age of high school I have never smoked them, just didn't like it.
When she was taking blood she asked if I did any drugs. "No." which is true (never cocaine or anything really) however I was at a graduation party recently where there was some marijuana going around. Though I hadn't touched it in years but on this occasion I did take a few puffs at the party. Because she was drawing blood and I didn't want anything to look suspect on my policy application I explained to her the situation. "I am not a regular user at all but wanted to be honest about this so that I don't jeopardize anything with the policy." I explained. She scribbled something down.

What a dumb-ass I am to think being honest was the way to interact with the insurance company. A week later I received a call from my insurance sales representative saying that my policy will be $309.00 per month because the underwriter has me classified as a "regular smoker". More than three times the amount I was supposed to pay.

Is there anything I can do? I feel I am completely misclassified and the rep. says that they have me listed in a national insurance information sharing database as a "smoker". I am a 32-year old male that has never smoked out side of a handful of times at parties. I am an avid swimmer and stick to a 45-minute per day cardio regimen.

Will I be paying three-times the cost on insurance for the rest of my life? I have my first child due in September and feel very worried about not having insurance.

Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's been almost 20 years since I worked with individual life insurance policies but I do remember one instance that might help you. We had an individual apply who was a former smoker, and who had quit smoking by way of nicotine gum. He did not realize the implications and two years after the fact, was still chewing the nicotine gum. He applied for a very large policy which required a medical exam. The urinalysis showed nicotine and he was classified as a smoker and rated accordingly. He was, naturally, irate. When we realized the problem, we notified our home office that while he was not a smoker, he did chew nicotine gum. The HO advised us that they would accept a new exam 30 days later and re-rate the policy IF the new exam did not show any nicotine. We advised him to switch to Wrigley's for a month. He did so, had the new exam, showed clean and was re-rated as a non-smoker.

I know this is not an identical situation, but perhaps if you offered to take a physical exam including urinalysis you could re-apply and be re-rated.

Betty

When I was underwriting life ins. applications at a major ins. co., we would issue anyone as a smoker if they admitted to smoking within the past year and/or if their urinalysis had nicotine in it. However, we would reconsider in a year if the insured sent an affidavit (we called it a smoking questionnaire) dated & signed by them that they had not smoked within the past 12 months & if their urinalysis at that time was neg. for nicotine. We would then change them to non smoker with non-smoker rates starting at that time. Usually when blood is taken for an ins. app., a urine specimen is also taken - maybe your urinalysis showed positive for nicotine. Did the ins. agt. tell you the reason you were classified as smoker - ie urine positive for nic. or because you admitted to smoking marijuana?

Last edited:

architect32

They said it was the marijuana. I can't believe I said anything so stupid to them. The first time I try it in over a year and because I thought the THC would show up on the blood test I decided to be honest and explain the situation. Thanks for your responses.

moburkes

Get a quote through another insurance company. If you're concerned about how this will affect you in the future, go to www.mib.com, and order your free report. It explains what does, and doesn't show up on the report, and you will receive a copy of yours in the mail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">