• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lack of heat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bozena Schmall

What is the name of your state?

Hello:

My name is Bozena Schmall and I live in Chicago, IL. I bought a condominium two years ago on July 10, 2001. The building used to be an apartment complex and it is now being converted into condos. This is the third winter I've been trying to resolve my inadequate heat issue with developer/manager of Crescent Heights. I called Management Office in our building, wrote numerous letters to the main office of Crescent Heights and finally I filed a complaint with City of Chicago, calling 311. The inspectors came and found out that the building is in violation. My temperature inside the unit is usually in late 50's and occasionally 63. The city of chicago says that the temperatures have to be not lower than 68 between 8:30 and 10:30. Now with the cold spell it is really bad. The actions taken by management office include: putting plastic on the bedroom window last year, putting "priority mail tape" on the air-conditioner and weather strip on the door this year. Last Monday the association and board of directors was elected. There are many other condo owners who are cold. The problem lies in defective heating system, some residents have temperatures in 90's (I was told they have windows open most of the time) and some are cold like me. I don't know how to fight them, what complaints to file and with what agencies, do I have a case for lawsuit? Can I deduct some portion of money from assessment fees, or refuse to pay for electricity and heat myself with my own heaters. Please help, I am so cold and angry that Crescent Heights don't do anything but get richer, recently they opened a new luxury condo complex in Hawai.
I would be so helpful for all the advice. Thank you.

Bigfoot

I assume that you are paying HOA dues to the association. Why hasn't the association filed a suit against the developer?

B

Bozena Schmall

Hello,

The building is 50 years old and it consists of 500 units. There is no thermostat to control the heat. There are a few boilers. I live on the 15th floor, they try to tell me that it is because of that. My husband used to live in one bedroom unit before, also on the 15th floor and his unit was very hot. The association was elected two and a half year after I bought a unit. It was elected last Monday.

JETX

Clearly, you are going to have to fight your battle with the co-op board or management. Have you noted your complaint to them in WRITING??
If so, what was their response??

HomeGuru

And why have you not attended any Board and/or HOA meetings to voice your complaint? Why did you not complain when you were a tenant using the State L/T and Federal housing laws?

B

Bozena Schmall

yes I have everything in writing, the whole stack of papers. As for the attending tenant meetings, I have never been a tenant.

B

Bozena Schmall

Can anything be done before the association decide to (if they ever will) to fix the heating system, this can take several years. Can you recommend any reading material regarding apartment/condo conversion laws? Or is it just easier to sell and move as soon as possible?

HomeGuru

Bozena Schmall said:
Can anything be done before the association decide to (if they ever will) to fix the heating system, this can take several years. Can you recommend any reading material regarding apartment/condo conversion laws? Or is it just easier to sell and move as soon as possible?
**A: you can hire an attorney and sue the HOA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">