• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ladybird Deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Julie N.

Texas - My mom, who is in the nursing home, had a Ladybird deed done stating that my sister and I are the grantees. Since she will never come out of the nursing home, can my sister and I rent her house to someone. The house is just sitting there and it would better if someone lives in it.
We do not want to sell it we just want it to be lived in.
Thank You

xylene

Is your mother in agreement with this plan?

You should consult with an expert before renting a property, it is not easy. You have many things to consider.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is your mom able to make decisions for herself? If so, then she should be consulted.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Then it seems to me that your mom can rent her house out - you can act as her "agent" for her in this matter. You may wish to get a power of attorney for you to do this.

HRZ

As above, Mom can rent it out ...she might be smart to appoint one or both of her children as durable powers of attorney as to such rental and any other of her affairs as she thinks appropriate . Be sure to use a written lease , no home brew stuff, and best to have it crafted by competent counsel so it's clear you are empowered to act on her behalf etc.

Julie N.

Yes, that is what I was hoping to hear. I am already my Mom's Power of Attorney and would definitely have a lease drawn up by a lawyer.
Thanks!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">