• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LadyInRed/Attorneyoney- Lawyer's letter/Should I ask for verification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?NH
Hey guys- I am probably going to file Chapter 7 in Nov or Dec-my consult is on Oct 4th- but here is my question- The local lawyer representing "Heady Corporation- the latest collection company to buy this credit card account ($8200.00) sent me their first letter- Its just a letter saying that they have been retained by Heady to collect the sum, ect... Don't even ask for money in it! Anyway- I am going to send a letter asking for validation. Will this make them sue me immediately? I would rather file Chap 7 BEFORE any lawsuits (the idea of a sheriff coming to my new apt building scares me) lol And most importantly- on my latest credit report, this lawyer did do an inquiry- but Heady is NOWHERE to be found on it! It no longer has Unifund as the collector either(i know they sold it) but why wouldnt Heady be listed as the collector? All i have is an inquiry by the lawyer. Does the lawyer really own this account now?

Ladynred

Not all creditors or collection agencies report to the bureaus, its strictly voluntary and they don't have to.

Don't think that just because this guy is a lawyer that its not a collection agency - it likely is. Validation could be dangerous if the debt doesn't have some age on it. You're within your rights to ask for validation and a lawsuit is not something that happens overnight anyway. The whole procedure takes time, likely more time than it'll take before you file for BK.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">