• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LAFD Paramedic Run

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoshone

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

Paramedics answered a call in the case of my 19 year old daughter. EMS was activated by friends who witnessed a seizure. I asked to speak with the paramedic when they arrived and requested that if they found my daughter stable I did not want her transported to the closest ER. I would be taking her to another hospital in the adjacent community. The paramedic stated that because my daughter was 19 it would be up to her. They did transport my daughter to the closest ER and when I arrived and asked my daughter why she said that was OK she stated that when she asked "what does my mother want me to do?" they replied "go to the hospital.
I want an action against the city for violating our right to refuse care and sign out AMA from the paramedic run. They obstructed her from this decision by misleading her intentionally and also, infact, lying to her.
Everyone has the right to refuse care from any healthcare provider. Please advise what type of attorney would be suitable against the city for this kind of case.

rmet4nzkx

Your daughter is an adult and can make decisions without your permission unless you have conservetorship. It sounds as if she were not stable, thus the response that your mother wants you to go to the hospital, because you were still planning on taking her to the hospital, thus not a lie. Anyone who has a siezure in a public place or not around their regular caregivers should have medical evaluation and documentation.
I take it you wanted to avoid the cost of the transport as opposed to simply taking her to a different hospital?
Do you have a Medical POA?
Does your daughter have a siezure disorder?
Is she a client of the Regional Center?
Does she live at home or elsewhere?
Does she wear a medic alert?

panzertanker

shoshone said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

Paramedics answered a call in the case of my 19 year old daughter. EMS was activated by friends who witnessed a seizure. I asked to speak with the paramedic when they arrived and requested that if they found my daughter stable I did not want her transported to the closest ER. I would be taking her to another hospital in the adjacent community. The paramedic stated that because my daughter was 19 it would be up to her. They did transport my daughter to the closest ER and when I arrived and asked my daughter why she said that was OK she stated that when she asked "what does my mother want me to do?" they replied "go to the hospital.
I want an action against the city for violating our right to refuse care and sign out AMA from the paramedic run. They obstructed her from this decision by misleading her intentionally and also, infact, lying to her.
Everyone has the right to refuse care from any healthcare provider. Please advise what type of attorney would be suitable against the city for this kind of case.
Let me get this straight:
You are upset b/c your daughter had a seizure; a possible life-threatening problem; and they APPROPRIATELY took her to the nearest ED???

I gotta say it, and it will get me censured, but you ARE A MORON!

The paramedics have EVERY right to refuse your/your daughter's request to transport to another facility. Her condition was unknown, and she had seizures, therefore she is an urgent/emergent case, and protocol is that she be taken to the FIRST ED.

Get over it. I sure hope you don't act that way and have the outcome be worse than this was.

Oh, to answer your question:
You have no case.

rmet4nzkx

panzertanker said:
Let me get this straight:
You are upset b/c your daughter had a seizure; a possible life-threatening problem; and they APPROPRIATELY took her to the nearest ED???

I gotta say it, and it will get me censured, but you ARE A MORON!

The paramedics have EVERY right to refuse your/your daughter's request to transport to another facility. Her condition was unknown, and she had seizures, therefore she is an urgent/emergent case, and protocol is that she be taken to the FIRST ED.

Get over it. I sure hope you don't act that way and have the outcome be worse than this was.

Oh, to answer your question:
You have no case.
It is amazing working with parents of disabled children how difficult the transition to adult status is and how resistant parents are to this fact.
OP didn't come back and answer any of my CA specific questions.

purple2

shoshone said:
when she asked "what does my mother want me to do?" they replied "go to the hospital.
is very different than

shoshone said:
violating our right to refuse care and sign out AMA from the paramedic run
If they did the first thing, there's nothing to do except to write a letter complaining to the ambulance co. If they did the 2nd thing, they kidnapped your daughter and she should call the cops.

panzertanker

purple2 said:
is very different than

If they did the first thing, there's nothing to do except to write a letter complaining to the ambulance co. If they did the 2nd thing, they kidnapped your daughter and she should call the cops.
I would agree, but OP has no "rights".
It is not "our rights" that would have been violated, but the PT's rights. OP has no dog in this race....

rmet4nzkx

purple2 said:
Right. That's why I said:
The paramedics didn't kidnap her daughter, they provided appropriate medical transport done at the request on an ADULT responsible for their own medical decisions. There is no evidence to the contrary at this point and OP has not responded since that request for information was made.

purple2

I understand the facts. I'm not suggesting her daughter was kidnapped. I was pointing out to her that she said 2 very different things and what the implications would be depending which scenario was factual.

rmet4nzkx

There was NEVER any implication that OP's daughter was kidnapped, the implication was that OP was trying to avoid paying for transport and ER costs, because they ahve a control issue. Don't give them any ideas :rolleyes:

panzertanker

purple2 said:
Right. That's why I said:
I know you got it purple, I was merely re-stating the obvious for the controlling OP who thinks she has the right to refuse medical attention for her ADULT daughter. Sorry for the confusion.

stagecrewgod

Ever heard of the "2 doctors and your out" saying? If there is a medical procedure to be done and the family or PT decline it but it is life threatening, then 2 drs. can take the PT in there custody and make the decision. Here it is the same thing for the EMT and P-EMT. If they feel that the PT is in a life threatening state (like the seizers) then they offer the PT and Family to decide certain things. But when the mother tells the the EMTs that she doesn't want them to transport her and she will transport her somewhere else, they have the rights to refuse. Case and point - In LA, CA, average commute on the lovely freeways we have here, will take hours. What if she has another seizer in the care and if it is a GRANDMAUL Seizer, you will lose control of the car and get in an accident and kill yourself, your daughter, and others... Not to mention the LAFD will have liability for letting you go. Also, did they find her stable? They probably didn't. I can go on for hours but I wont. And by the way, I am a certified Emergancy Rescuer so I have an idea in this. And, you are not a wonderful mother if you are more worried about transportation costs then your daughters welfare. And you could always request us to transport her to a hospital of choice as long as it is within reason.

ellencee

stagecrewgod
certified Emergancy Rescuer
Just in case you really are:
Emergency
Seizure
Grand Mal
their custody
life-threatening
right to refuse
case in point
car
won't
daughter's

Spelling lessons free on this site. (We usually allow a few typos.)

:) EC

Last edited:

stagecrewgod

First and foremost... Emergancy Rescuer does not mean I am an english teacher... Second of all, I am a Emergancy Rescuer because my job requires it (Stage craft techer), third, how many of you have 100% typo free posts 100% of the time... When you go for a data entry job, you are allowed a 5% error rate. So instead of badgering me, how about you post on the topic.

ellencee

The poster hasno reason to seek legal action and she has been told the same by professional.
You should learn to spell correctly, especially if you want what you say to be taken seriously.
After your second post, I do better understand your post. You took a CPR class and passed or perhaps your class was a basic life support class and you passed. Either way, you are representing yourself to be an EMT or paramedic by stating "you could request us to transport". I certainly hope you do not consider yourself to be equally prepared to respond to an actual emergency as is an EMT or paramedic.

By the way, a Grand Maul seizer by a vehicle's passenger that could result in multi-victim injury/death was my favorite part of your post.

EC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">