• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

laid off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bry2254

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Got a big surprise at work today.
I have been there the second longest, 14 + year's.
all summer we run 2 man crew's, and we run 5 crew's. 10 people
They laid off 4 due to lack of work, but it is alway's really slow in the winter.
So 6 of us left, they laid off 2 more today, and I was one,
We had a small meetting in the conf. room and I asked why, does senority mean nothing ? (with the 3-bosses and myself).
I was told there was only enough work for 2 crew's, and I do realize that.

A little back round on a employee named Jill.-she has been there 4 year's, and while working there she got married, and of course pregnant. Shortly after her husband who race's motor cross (dirt bike's) took a jump and broke his neck, yup married a few month's and now in a wheel chair paralized from the waist down. And then she had a child.
They were going to fire her before this accident due to her inability at work, but kept her on after the accident.

Any way's, the reason I was laid off was because she has a family to support, and I am single. I was told this by the bosses! I am only laid off for 2 week's, but I feel I should document this some how?
I told them I was not pleased, and what if 2 week's turn's into longer?
They promised me, and I do trust them, as we have alway's gotten along. But still in the back of my mind I feel I should protect myself, but how, it would be there word against mine?
Let me know what you think.

Well enough
take care Bryan

BelizeBreeze

Senority only applies to union contracts. If you are not a union shop then the company can decide whom to layoff and whom to keep. As long as the decision is not based on a protected trait. (such as laying off all females or all blacks)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">