• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laminate Flooring - Formaldehyde odor after cleaning with certified laminate flooring cleaner.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aloha Sue

A week ago I used a microfiber dry mop and Bona wood laminate floor cleaning spray. After a little while the smell of chemical odor, perhaps formaldehyde overtook the room and it won't go away. It's unbearable! I think my floors are ruined and need to be removed. I've had the laminate flooring for just a few days over a year. What do I do?

quincy

A week ago I used a microfiber dry mop and Bona wood laminate floor cleaning spray. After a little while the smell of chemical odor, perhaps formaldehyde overtook the room and it won't go away. It's unbearable! I think my floors are ruined and need to be removed. I've had the laminate flooring for just a few days over a year. What do I do?
What is the name of your state?

Did you carefully read the instructions on caring for your laminate floor?

Did you carefully read the instructions and warnings on the cleaning product?

Did you try to contact the manufacturers of either or both?

adjusterjack

When I bought my house last year I installed laminate flooring in three bedrooms. I consulted my home improvement expert (my daughter) who sent me the following:

To clean the floor, first I'd sweep or vacuum the floor (on the non-carpet setting). I remember buying a few microfiber cloths that attached to a swiffer-type of mop. Soaked a clean microfiber in hot water, then wrung it out really really well. I'd do an initial light swiffer mop of the floor, then maybe use another clean soaked/wrung out microfiber cloth to do another round if the floor needed it. Then I'd use the cleanser.

Found the cleanser recipe (below), and once you create it, lightly spray a clean/soaked/wrung-out microfiber cloth with the cleaning solution and start mopping. The microfiber cloths just go in the wash.

Homemade Laminate Floor Cleaner

Here’s an excellent recipe for home made laminate floor cleaner that works a treat, especially for cleaning high gloss laminate flooring leaving it completely streak free:

• 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar
  • 1 squirt of liquid dish detergent
  • put it all in a spray bottle and you’re good to go!

I never had the odor.

Try it. Maybe you'll get rid of the smell.

Last edited:

Aloha Sue

What is the name of your state?

Did you carefully read the instructions on caring for your laminate floor?

Did you carefully read the instructions and warnings on the cleaning product?

Did you try to contact the manufacturers of either or both?

California
I was not given care instructions when laminate floor was installed.
The product on was called Bona LAMIMATE FLOOR CLEANER. I read no further.
I contacted Bona - the person I spoke with never heard of this happening.
I contacted my installer - he has not returned my call. I don't know who the manufacture is.

Aloha Sue

When I bought my house last year I installed laminate flooring in three bedrooms. I consulted my home improvement expert (my daughter) who sent me the following:

To clean the floor, first I'd sweep or vacuum the floor (on the non-carpet setting). I remember buying a few microfiber cloths that attached to a swiffer-type of mop. Soaked a clean microfiber in hot water, then wrung it out really really well. I'd do an initial light swiffer mop of the floor, then maybe use another clean soaked/wrung out microfiber cloth to do another round if the floor needed it. Then I'd use the cleanser.

Found the cleanser recipe (below), and once you create it, lightly spray a clean/soaked/wrung-out microfiber cloth with the cleaning solution and start mopping. The microfiber cloths just go in the wash.

Homemade Laminate Floor Cleaner

Here’s an excellent recipe for home made laminate floor cleaner that works a treat, especially for cleaning high gloss laminate flooring leaving it completely streak free:

• 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar
  • 1 squirt of liquid dish detergent
  • put it all in a spray bottle and you’re good to go!

I never had the odor.

Try it. Maybe you'll get rid of the smell.

I'll try thanks.
It smells like vinegar now so I don't want to add to the smell.

Aloha Sue

Chemical cleaners tend to smell like chemicals. :)

This is different. There was a chemical reaction to the cleaner and the formaldehyde in the flooring :) Pungent and airborne now. I used Enviroklenz Everyday solution to neutralize the smell in the floor and bought an air purifier that removes VOCs like formaldehyde from the air. Waiting for it to arrive on Tues. The solution worked but the malodor is airborne and needs to be treated. Absolute nightmare.

quincy

California
I was not given care instructions when laminate floor was installed.
The product on was called Bona LAMIMATE FLOOR CLEANER. I read no further.
I contacted Bona - the person I spoke with never heard of this happening.
I contacted my installer - he has not returned my call. I don't know who the manufacture is.
It sounds more like a problem with the laminate floor than the Bona cleaner. You should find out the name of the laminate flooring manufacturer and contact them.

LdiJ

This is different. There was a chemical reaction to the cleaner and the formaldehyde in the flooring :) Pungent and airborne now. I used Enviroklenz Everyday solution to neutralize the smell in the floor and bought an air purifier that removes VOCs like formaldehyde from the air. Waiting for it to arrive on Tues. The solution worked but the malodor is airborne and needs to be treated. Absolute nightmare.
You might want to wash down the walls as well.

xylene

Have you contacted a real professionally licensed remediation company?

Have you established there is formaldehyde in your home with a test?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">