• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Land Trust Sold -- Parents Passed Away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dthor35

Hi All -- So, in 1982 my Parents invested in property ( as a Trust ) with many other people, Realtors, friends, etc.. Well, it is now 2019 and it is finally selling. Both parents are gone, so the 5 kids of the family are listed as the Beneficiaries in this Trust. We each have a small share of this Trust left by the Parents. MY Question is -- Will we need to withhold money for Tax time at the end of the year, or , is it possible to not pay taxes on this as an Inheritance..? Thanks..

Just Blue

Hi All -- So, in 1982 my Parents invested in property ( as a Trust ) with many other people, Realtors, friends, etc.. Well, it is now 2019 and it is finally selling. Both parents are gone, so the 5 kids of the family are listed as the Beneficiaries in this Trust. We each have a small share of this Trust left by the Parents. MY Question is -- Will we need to withhold money for Tax time at the end of the year, or , is it possible to not pay taxes on this as an Inheritance..? Thanks..
What state?

adjusterjack

Confirm this with a tax pro but I think that the basis for any taxable gain would be the value of the investment at the time of their death (or the death of the last surviving parent).

You'll pay capital gains tax on your share of any gain in value that has accrued since then.

You might need to pay estimated tax depending on how much you receive.

You can figure that out when you know the exact amount.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What exactly is being sold? The property in the trust, or are you selling your trust interests?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This Trust is Land in Ft Myers, Florida. The closing is this month sometime. Us kids get .08 % of the Total, listed as beneficiaries of my parents.
How much is the land worth? You realize that .08% is very little, right? .08%of a million dollars is $800 (as an example).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">