• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Land usage off private road in Texas to get to gate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

11Brian11

Hello, to make it short. I'm using a private road and neighbor says I cant because he owns the land to turn off the road to go into my gate which is 10ft for one gate and 3ft for the other. My Land is not landlocked. The road is owned in sections by multiple people and houses. Should I take him to court? Is he right?

quincy

Hello, to make it short. I'm using a private road and neighbor says I cant because he owns the land to turn off the road to go into my gate which is 10ft for one gate and 3ft for the other. My Land is not landlocked. The road is owned in sections by multiple people and houses. Should I take him to court? Is he right?
He could be right.

Do you have access to your property that does not cross your neighbor’s land? If not, why not?

How long have you been using the private road?

11Brian11

Thanks for your reply. We purchase realizing a private road can be used by the general public. Since the altercation we now have been driving across 10 acres with 3 gates and driving in middle of another neighbors driveway. I may of been using it for a month.

quincy

Thanks for your reply. We purchase realizing a private road can be used by the general public. Since the altercation we now have been driving across 10 acres with 3 gates and driving in middle of another neighbors driveway. I may of been using it for a month.
Private roads are called private because they can’t be used by the general public.

You will need to see if an easement was granted to your property for use by you of your neighbor’s property.

11Brian11

Private Roads
A street or route that is designated by a public authority to accommodate a person or a group of people.
A private road is often established because an individual needs to gain access to land; such a road can cross another person's property. A private road can be used by the general public and is open to all who wish to use it, but it primarily benefits those at whose request it was established. Unlike highways that are cared for by the public at large, private roads are maintained at the expense of the private individuals who requested the road.

11Brian11

No Sir, there wasn't and easement on our deed nor was granted. Do think the 3ft section on the side of road is ok?

I found this one two.
542.005. RULES ON PRIVATE PROPERTY. This subtitle does
not prevent an owner of private property that is a private road
(1) regulating or prohibiting use of the property by
the public for vehicular travel; or
(2) requiring conditions different from or in addition
to those specified by this subtitle.

quincy

No Sir, there wasn't and easement on our deed nor was granted. Do think the 3ft section on the side of road is ok?

I found this one two.
542.005. RULES ON PRIVATE PROPERTY. This subtitle does
not prevent an owner of private property that is a private road
(1) regulating or prohibiting use of the property by
the public for vehicular travel; or
(2) requiring conditions different from or in addition
to those specified by this subtitle.
You quoted the section of the Transportation Code I linked to in my previous post.

I don’t know if the 3 ft section on the side of the road is okay for you to use. That would be something to ask your neighbor.

11Brian11

Ok. I'm sorry I didnt read your post. So I'm safe driving on the road just not leaving the road? The owner I purchased from said it was ok, his wife is saying no know. Thanks for all your answers

quincy

I don’t know if you are “safe” driving on the road, if the private road is on your neighbor’s property and you do not have an easement or permission from the property owner to use the road.

You should speak to the previous owner and/or the neighbor to see what the problem is with your use.

Last edited:

quincy

what a joke
And the joke is ...? Do you have a better answer to your question based on what you have provided in the way of information?

What did the previous owner say about the road when you purchased the property? Did they use the road? If so, for how long?

Last edited:

11Brian11

ou keep telling me to talk to the neighbors. I told you I did and obviously I wouldn't be here talking to you if everything was okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">