• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord and Wife splitting up...question about who my landlord is...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Sacramento CA

Hi, I am currently renting a room in an owner occupied house. The man that I signed a lease with, we'll call him Dave, is in the middle of a particularly nasty split up with his wife, who we'll call Nancy. Nancy is alleging that Dave beat her and so has gotten a temporary restraining order on him that states that Dave is not to go within 100 yards of her, the house, etc. Nancy, is staying with her mother, and so is not around either.

The problem that I have is this: Nancy came today and removed the brand new washer and dryer from the house. My lease states that use of said washer and dryer is included in my rent. She replaced them with a couple of old junky things. I tried washing my sheets this evening, only to be sprayed with water from the water source.

Who do I call for this? I signed a lease with Dave, but as I said he's not allowed near the house. Do I call Nancy? There is a lot more to this story (seriously, you can't write the drama that's going on around here), so I don't want to make things more complicated for anyone, but I just want to wash my sheets!

Thanks,

Annie

Gail in Georgia

Reach behind the washer; turn off the water source and tighten the connection to the washer. This can typically be done by hand.

Turn the water back on.

Gail

Hot Topic

You signed the lease with Dave, so write him a letter that says something along the lines of, "On December 8th, Mrs. Dave removed the washer and dryer from the house. I tried to wash today in the replacement machines and was sprayed in the face. As you know, the use of the washer and dry is included in my rent. Please advise."

I suspect Dave will be VERY interested to hear that Nancy removed the new washer and dryer, especially if he paid for the machines.

Last edited:
Reach behind the washer; turn off the water source and tighten the connection to the washer. This can typically be done by hand.

Turn the water back on.

Gail
I tried all that; I couldn't get it tightened with just my hands, but luckily my roommate came home and was able to tighten it. Of course I had just gotten my sheets to washing when I realized that the dryer is not only not connected but can't be connected because we are missing some parts (according to my roommate).

At any rate, I will write Dave a letter informing him of the issue. I think that I might also inquire to see if I can break lease early to escape the continued madness. Thanks for the advice.

Annie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">