• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord changing terms of holding deposit.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toastypeppers

I'm in Oregon. On 2/3/20, I paid a holding deposit to rent a house. I signed a holding deposit agreement which states they'd be turning over the property to me on or before 2/24/20, that rent is 1095/mo, and it's a month to month rental. Well, today, I get a call from the PM company and they are telling me that rent is going to be $100 more a month because they did a bunch of work on the place. Is this legal?

LdiJ

I'm in Oregon. On 2/3/20, I paid a holding deposit to rent a house. I signed a holding deposit agreement which states they'd be turning over the property to me on or before 2/24/20, that rent is 1095/mo, and it's a month to month rental. Well, today, I get a call from the PM company and they are telling me that rent is going to be $100 more a month because they did a bunch of work on the place. Is this legal?
Did they also sign the agreement? Do you want your money back or do you want to try to hold them to the agreement?

toastypeppers

Did they also sign the agreement? Do you want your money back or do you want to try to hold them to the agreement?
We all signed the holding agreement. I want them to honor the original agreement. They sprung this change on us with ten days left on the 30 day notice where we currently are, effectively making me chose, accept this rent increase or be homeless.

LdiJ

We all signed the holding agreement. I want them to honor the original agreement. They sprung this change on us with ten days left on the 30 day notice where we currently are, effectively making me chose, accept this rent increase or be homeless.
Then tell them that you have a signed agreement and that you expect them to honor it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If the LL is smart, they'd charge you $1,095 for the first month, and immediately hand you a notice increasing the rent by $110 per month starting the second month.

STEPHAN

If the LL is smart, they'd charge you $1,095 for the first month, and immediately hand you a notice increasing the rent by $110 per month starting the second month.
Exactly. It can be a month to month contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">