• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord charged us for back sewer bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

katsings

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Washington

My husband and I moved out of a place in Washington state a month ago and moved to California. When we did the move out inspection the landlord said how great everything looked and he didn't see a problem getting most of our deposit back ($1200), aside from a few holes in the paint he had to cover. He sent our check and breakdown a week late (WA law says he must send within 14 days or we get the entire balance back?) along with a letter stating how nicely we kept the place up and using them for a reference would be ok (thank goodness because we forgot to take pics). However, he also sent copies of a year's worth of sewer bills as well as separate bills for a sewer capacity charge, which I think has something to do with the new system he put in last year (are we even liable for that charge?). The total adds up to over $600, half of our deposit! The first few months we were there, he showed us the bill when he collected rent and we even paid a few of them already! We paid them in good faith when he presented them, but later he never even showed us the bills. Also, here is the kicker, the bills are for another address, I believe they belong to the house he owns across the street (abandoned and falling apart). He claims the address is what the city has us listed as, however it is an odd number and our house was even numbered. I plan to call the city to confirm this, however I am wondering if he can even charge us for back bills, ones that were never presented to us to begin with. Thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">