• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord charging me over $3k in damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tentant

I live in Illinois and currently my ex landlord is trying to charge me $3,300+ after itemized deductions. They're list is as follows for our 855 square feet apartment:
"labor charges for removing carpeting, padding, and proper hazmat disposal: $440"
"De-fumigation, scrubbing, deodorizing, sanitizing the floor after carpet and pad removal due to pet urine: $1,980"
"Clean floor again, kilz, and paint floor: $357.50"
"Carpet: $960"
"Install new carpet due to dog urination. Old carpet soaking wet: $337"
"Air handler rental, 4 gallons of kilz, biocide sanitation bombs, rollers: $280"
"living room blind, 4 light bulbs, 2 9volt batteries for smoke detector: "$32"

They included pictures of the parts of ripped up carpeting where you could see where the dog had urinated and did not. Just wondering if this is a reasonable amount they can charge us or if this too much/exaggerated? The carpet was a couple years old and we had lived there ourselves for 2 years exactly. The owner also wrote us a nasty letter even claiming they were contacting an animal humane society for possible animal abuse since they apparently "never saw the dog outside." Even though the owner had met my dog a few times while taking him out.Our apartment was in the back of the building and faced a field where the dog was taken out which is why the owner probably didn't see him often. I'd also like to point out that the reason the carpet was "soaking wet" when they entered the property the next day after we left, was because we had shampooed it ourselves. I don't understand why they thought all the moisture was all completely from one dog. We have pictures to show the carpet was not stained everywhere and you can see the traffic stains where the dog did have have accidents. There was even one bedroom that they didn't change carpet for because it was still in great shape so I have a hard time believing that $3,300 is "reasonable." This is even AFTER our $800 security deposit and $200 dog deposit was subtracted from the initial balance of $4300+. They didn't even include the $200 dog deposit on the original itemized deductions list. I had to email the landlord and remind her we did pay that and request an updated balance. Which she did but still only brought it down to the 3,300 hundred dollars. No receipts were provided so I feel like I just have to take her word for and really think I owe them $1980 dollars for "scrubbing and deodorizing." I know we did damage part of the carpet due to the dog having accidents in the house but feel offended their exaggerating the damage and even claiming animal abuse when I have vet records from the last 4 years I've had him that include all his shots, nail trimmings, exams, and flea medicine purchases. Am I stuck owing them this money?

quincy

You could ask for copies of their receipts. If your dog damaged not only the carpet and carpet pad but also the floor, the $3300 might not be unreasonable.

PayrollHRGuy

The costs you listed in your post may be on the high end of the spectrum but aren't outrageously so. But it would matter how many square feet we are talking about.

Gail in Georgia

" I know we did damage part of the carpet due to the dog having accidents in the house but feel offended their exaggerating the damage and even claiming animal abuse when I have vet records from the last 4 years I've had him that include all his shots, nail trimmings, exams, and flea medicine purchases. Am I stuck owing them this money?"

We have no way of knowing this. However since you yourself admit your dog had "accidents" in the house, it is not unreasonable to assume that repairs would involve exactly what has been described about; carpet and pad removal with safe disposal, scrubbing, sanitizing, deodorizing, fumigating and "Kiltzing" the floor to seal in any further odors prior to carpet replacement. You MIGHT argue that the original carpet had "outlived" it's "useful" life (typically 5-7 years in a rental) but only if you can prove the age of this carpet and this would only address whether the cost of new carpet replacement was realistic.

Frankly I think you should be pleased that you weren't charged for full floor replacement from these dog accidents.

Gail

FarmerJ

I have had the privilege of having to cut out plywood flooring in order to get rid of animal pee smell when I used to work on other peoples rentals in the late 90s and early 00s . then going back to the 80s in order to get rid of pet urine damage to the hardwood floors in the apartment across the hall from me back in the early 80s when I still rented the LL had me sand the floors down and seal with polyurethane , Ill never forget , even with a mask that stinky dust made me want to puke , Once the second sanding was done and the mess cleaned up the smell was not as bad and after the third sanding with a fine belt and clean up then multiple coats of polyurethane the next tenant never commented about animal smell. SO in short it can be a nightmare to get pet urine smell gone ( your only possible room to argue for a further reduced price might be if the landlord didn't depreciate the carpet was in that apartment.

LindaP777

We have had carpet, padding and plywood subflooring ruined by dog pee. The stench was unbearable! It made me gag to walk in. I have no idea how some people can live like pigs!
Get rid of your dog or keep him outside.
Pay the landlord!

FarmerJ

I know how it happens , theres one accident and the mess is cleaned up then another and its cleaned up and another that maybe gets missed and over time the pet owners nose becomes immune to the smell and along with it they cease to realize that with each pet accident the damage is growing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">