• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord constantly taking away tenant rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

suzannet

i live in clifton, nj. my two family home i live in was sold in aug. when then new landlord took over, he told me i could no longer use the yard or basement and all my things were to be removed from both areas. my washer/dryer is in the basement and he told me i could do laundry once a week.
things have not gone well and he asked me to leave and i told him he'd have to take me to court. he never showed up for the court appearance. now his lawyer has sent me a letter telling me i can no longer do laundry at all and has locked the basement door so i do not have access to the washer/dryer or my boiler. twice this week i had to restart the boiler, and he would not give me access. i had the police there both times. one officer told me its his house he can do what he wants cause there is no lease. another officer said it was considered an illegal lock out and ordered them to open the door and they refused to open it even for the police. i am leaving in two months but what do i do? i can't live like this any longer. can he just keep taking rights away from me? who do i contact about access to the boiler? they are not home all the time and we went without heat for a couple of days because he will not even co operate with the police. i need help and advice fast!thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">