• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord criminal conversion of property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vmxdry

Massachusetts

On the last day of tenancy under my lease agreement (08/31/05) my landlord closed on the property in which I was living in, thereby selling it to another owner.

During the day of the 31st, he, his real estate agent, and the buyer were at the premises for the closing, at which time he promised to clean out my things to the new owner, despite the fact that I had said that I would be by later in the day to do so. When I arrived to the apartment, all of my belongings which had been left in my storage unit had been removed, and now the landlord won't return my calls, and the agent and buyer are pleading ignorance to the matter.

What are my options? I have been on the phone with the local police, but they seem hesitant to get involved. Do I have any course of action?

There are 2 places to look and between the 2 you should be able to find all the answers you need. Google landlord/tenant/your state. You should be able to find links there that will help you. Also, refer to your lease. It should have a section referring to this type of situation.

So, just to be clear, you had paid rent up through the 31st? If that's the case they shouldn't have touched a thing in there until today at the very soonest. And even if they removed the stuff today they would have to put it in storage at the very least.

Try to find a local tenant's rights group. They love this sort of thing. You definitely have recourse, if I understand the way you described the situation correctly.

Karla in Amarillo

longneck

vmxdry said:
What are my options? I have been on the phone with the local police, but they seem hesitant to get involved. Do I have any course of action?
call the police back. say something like this: "my landlord locked me out of the house early and removed my belongings. he is not telling me what he did with them. i know the law says that the LL has to put any abandoned property in to storage at the end of a lease. would you please have an officer accompany me to my landlord's office to demand the address of the storage facility where he moved my belongings to?"

after you pay the storage facility to get your stuff our of hoc, send a letter to the LL with a demand letter for a refund of the storage fees since he illegally locked you out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">