• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord destroyed property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

This OP is trying to heavily slant things in her own favor. Frankly, her credibility is non-existent in my eyes. I don't believe her timeline.

What exactly would make you believe my timeline...the 37 emails, the police report filed less than 48 hours after eviction, the receipts signed by LL? Or how about the 115 emails prior to eviction.

Many tenants claim to lose thousands of dollars worth of personal items when they are evicted. Makes one wonder if they can afford all of those items how they got themselves in the pickle of being evicted due to failure to pay rent in the first place. Nevertheless, as has been pointed out, California has some very strict requirements on what a landlord must do to store such items for a certain period of time after move out and simply tossing them to the curb isn't one of these.

Gail
That's an easy question to answer actually. If you remember back to June of 2016, when the Erskine Fire tore through a small mountain community destroying just under 300 homes. 258 of those homes were occupied, and of those faemilies nearly half of them had to move away to find housing. We had moved here shortly before the fire and still had not moved all of our property up. We spent 16 months living in a 19 ft travel trailer waiting a praying for a home. Eventually this home became available and even though it was not in the desired condition or have the best landlord, it was still better than 5 people being crammed into a tiny travel trailer. After a year of fighting for repairs to be done to the home, I feel through the floor (that the LL claimed was not a safety issue and thank God one of my kids didn't fall through). We decided we could no longer wait for the LL to do repairs. So, yes, we had lived in that trailer for so long we were able to put things into it. I was unable to get it out by myself and that's why so much was left in the home. That is also why I stuck around to speak to the landlord so that he would k ow I wasn't abandoning my property and I wasn't just merely trying to be a jerk tenant that refused to move my things.

PayrollHRGuy

I do have the proof. However I don't know how to report it. I am constantly met with " it's a civil matter"
You don't have proof. You may have evidence and a judge/jury will decide if it is proof.

It is a civil matter and just like with other civil matters if you can't reach a settlement between the parties you sue them.

Eekamouse

That's an easy question to answer actually. If you remember back to June of 2016, when the Erskine Fire tore through a small mountain community destroying just under 300 homes. 258 of those homes were occupied, and of those faemilies nearly half of them had to move away to find housing. We had moved here shortly before the fire and still had not moved all of our property up. We spent 16 months living in a 19 ft travel trailer waiting a praying for a home. Eventually this home became available and even though it was not in the desired condition or have the best landlord, it was still better than 5 people being crammed into a tiny travel trailer. After a year of fighting for repairs to be done to the home, I feel through the floor (that the LL claimed was not a safety issue and thank God one of my kids didn't fall through). We decided we could no longer wait for the LL to do repairs. So, yes, we had lived in that trailer for so long we were able to put things into it. I was unable to get it out by myself and that's why so much was left in the home. That is also why I stuck around to speak to the landlord so that he would k ow I wasn't abandoning my property and I wasn't just merely trying to be a jerk tenant that refused to move my things.
So wait...your home burned down in that fire?

2 reasons.....(1) A few months before the fire, we were living 200 miles away and we're working for a company that would send us all over California for 4 days per week. We ended up up going to Bakersfield 4 days per week each week for nearly 3 months. So, we decided to put our stuff in storage and begin. Looking for a home closer to Bakersfield. We ended up in this area and found our home. We had not moved everything up to the house because we spent more than anticipated while looking for a home, so we only brought up what we could fit in or vehicles until we could afford a uhaul. So, we luckily had furniture in storage

(2) For the 16 months after the fire that we lived in the travel trailer, we saved up a bunch of money ey since we didnt have a lot of bills

Eekamouse

2 reasons.....(1) A few months before the fire, we were living 200 miles away and we're working for a company that would send us all over California for 4 days per week. We ended up up going to Bakersfield 4 days per week each week for nearly 3 months. So, we decided to put our stuff in storage and begin. Looking for a home closer to Bakersfield. We ended up in this area and found our home. We had not moved everything up to the house because we spent more than anticipated while looking for a home, so we only brought up what we could fit in or vehicles until we could afford a uhaul. So, we luckily had furniture in storage

(2) For the 16 months after the fire that we lived in the travel trailer, we saved up a bunch of money ey since we didnt have a lot of bills
Why were you evicted if you had a bunch of money saved up?

Why were you evicted if you had a bunch of money saved up?
Because we did a repair and deduct as stated but he still filed the eviction. We put $1,500 into the home in repairs that were there when we moved in with proof of receipts. The judge sided with him because and it's all In emails we would not allow his maintenance guy on the property because he tried to steal my husband's tools. The sherrifs were called out so he could retrieve his tools and cement mixer. The LL was told he could find anyone else to do the work we didn't care who. He said ok that would be fine. But in court all of a sudden it wasn't fine.

Eekamouse

Because we did a repair and deduct as stated but he still filed the eviction. We put $1,500 into the home in repairs that were there when we moved in with proof of receipts. The judge sided with him because and it's all In emails we would not allow his maintenance guy on the property because he tried to steal my husband's tools. The sherrifs were called out so he could retrieve his tools and cement mixer. The LL was told he could find anyone else to do the work we didn't care who. He said ok that would be fine. But in court all of a sudden it wasn't fine.
how long did you guys live there?

how long did you guys live there?
1 year and 1 month. Also to the above question most of the money saved went buying furniture appliances and clothes for the kids since we lost everything in the fire. The only thing that the house had was a stove. We had to buy washer and dryer, fridge, dishwasher, beds.... The list goes on and on.

1 year and 1 month. Also to the above question most of the money saved went buying furniture appliances and clothes for the kids since we lost everything in the fire. The only thing that the house had was a stove. We had to buy washer and dryer, fridge, dishwasher, beds.... The list goes on and on.
It also might help to know prior to moving in and during the first 9 months we lived there my husband worked for our LL my husband quit because he didn't want to cut the corners of doing repairs cheap like he was being asked to after one of the LL houses almost burned down from cutting corners like instructed to do. All this is also in emails. Everything being told can be verified one way or another.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">