• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord does not maintain / get into my apartment without permission (FL)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steffen80

Hi all,

I am an expat here in Florida and I've rented an apartment. The problem is, the landlord does not maintain the complex very well and it took about 6 month to fix my broken A/C. There are also some other open item.

Yesterday the situation escalated as the landlord installed new locks without a prior written notification. (Changed to a cloud service provide for smart home). People stepped into my apartment, changed the locks, installed other fancy IT equipment etc. When I went back home, I was not able to get into my apartment. Just the emergency service opened my door remotely.

So I want to move somewhere else, but the contract runs until October. Do I have any chance to get out of the contract before?

Please advise, thanks
Steffen

Just Blue

Hi all,

I am an expat here in Florida and I've rented an apartment. The problem is, the landlord does not maintain the complex very well and it took about 6 month to fix my broken A/C. There are also some other open item.

Yesterday the situation escalated as the landlord installed new locks without a prior written notification. (Changed to a cloud service provide for smart home). People stepped into my apartment, changed the locks, installed other fancy IT equipment etc. When I went back home, I was not able to get into my apartment. Just the emergency service opened my door remotely.

So I want to move somewhere else, but the contract runs until October. Do I have any chance to get out of the contract before?

Please advise, thanks
Steffen
No.

LdiJ

I would be very concerned about the fact that the management can now open the apartment remotely. That seems very unsafe to me.

FarmerJ

wondering , so do you still have actual keys ? If every door in the complex could be opened remotely you should ask them in writing what they are going to do when the system is hacked? BTW if you have renters insurance I suggest you find out how the insurance co views this new system and if you don't have renters insurance maybe you should get it anyway even though it sounds like you do not wish to renew your lease.

Gail in Georgia

Landlords tend to have access to their own rental units. However, it is a good idea to ask about this business about security regarding system hacking.

Gail

FarmerJ

BTW if youre LL wont answer your questions about the actual security of the new system and tries to blow you off then perhaps you want to send to them a on real paper letter outlining your concerns and in it make it crystal clear you have notified your insurance company about the new system and will not waste time hiring a Attorney to represent you should there be a breach. Don't forget when you give notice you will not renew make sure its on real paper and sent say via confirmed mail delivery or certified mail and staple your postal receipt to your copy. Also get a inventory of your personal property done , inc serial numbers of your valuables that have them and pics of the things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">