• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord entering my room and unpluging my TV

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FarmerJ

The little so called loads from transformers and electronics may add up BUT I gotta ask does your landlord have electric hot water and if he does has he ever looked into off peak electric hot water heating from the electric utility or the 8am to 8pm 8 pm to 8 am split metering where loads used after 8pm are cheaper rate so people that put freezers on timers or wait to do wash or say electric cooking after 8 pm are on a lower rate. or switching to a on demand water heater. Does your LL make sure his own electronics are unplugged when not in use ? Personally I wouldn't put up with it and plan for moving and telling the LL I installed a hidden camera in the room I pay for and If I get video of you in my room I wont hesitate to let a judge decide if your invading my privacy and failing to give me reasonable advance notice of the entries is enough to order you to pay me , you see if you had not forgotten renting to me makes you a landlord like it or not and that means you must follow our states laws and if you don't a the courts wont care if you live here or if you were some big company with a lot f rentals. WHY consider going to that much trouble ? because some landlords really think some how living there means they are exempted from landlord laws.

LdiJ

If there was an internal clock to reset, yes. The OP is talking about a bedroom. I suspect the "clocks" aren't a concern.
The OP specifically said TV, cable box, etc. Most newer TVs and cable boxes would definitely have internal clocks as would ordinary clock radios so I don't understand why you would think that clocks would not be an issue.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Clocks that are connected to the internet (computers, smart TVs, even cable boxes) that I've had experience with all automatically reset after a power outage or even when the time changes twice a year. Clock radios, yes, they would have to be reset, but I haven't had to reset a smart device, including the clock connected to the TV or DVR or cable box, in I don't know how many years.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Clocks that are connected to the internet (computers, smart TVs, even cable boxes) that I've had experience with all automatically reset after a power outage or even when the time changes twice a year. Clock radios, yes, they would have to be reset, but I haven't had to reset a smart device, including the clock connected to the TV or DVR or cable box, in I don't know how many years.
Exactly -

And, on top of that, many clock radios have 9 volt battery backup for power outages. Not to mention that many people now use their phones as their sole alarm and media device.

LdiJ

That is true, I hadn't thought about that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">