• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Gave us S**t

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thisisjay

We live in a mobile home park out in the country. We have well water and are on a shared septic tank with 6 other mobile homes.

After going about 7 days with very low water pressure the landlord made a repair to the clean water supply which involved fixing a pipe in the ground. This restored pressure. Last night, the toilet clogged, I plunged it, and it flushed. I heard glurp glurp sounds in the kitchen drains and saw that dirty water had burped out of the tub drain, but everything seemed to be draining okay.

Fast forward to this morning at 5am. The toilet clogged again, I plunged it, but it did not drain. After a few minutes I began to notice that brown water was flowing into the tub so I stopped plunging. I figured I would have to call a drain cleaner when one opened. THe levels of brown water in the toilet stayed the same until almost exactly 7am when the water in the toilet began to bubble, the level of water was starting to rise, and water started squirting out of the tub drain and open /close control. The toilet began to dump brown "water" all of the floor and in a panic I grabbed a garden hose from the front yard, put one end in the overflowing toilet and put and other end out the back door. I started a siphon and put as many towels as I could find on the floor and began mopping up the water.

My wife called the landlord and she said that she was just going to assume the the problem was a clog in our mobile home and do nothing until she heard from more residents. I called and stated that despite the fact that we have not run a drop of water in several hours there is sewage overflowing from our toilet and bathtub. There was no way that this was a clog in out mobile home. The landlord said she would look into it and after having her son walk around aimlessly outside for 10 minutes had him come tell me that the problem was that may toilet was clogged and that I needed to call a plumber. I paid a plumber to come out and verify that the clog is not anywhere in my mobile home. I let the landlord know and after much yelling and screaming they called Roto Rooter.

At this point I have spent close to 10 hours trying to keep our mobile home from getting flooded with sewage. This has involved checking the toilet and restarting the siphon as needed. I've to restart it about every 15 to 20 minutes, but the water has come in a few times faster than I could get rid of it and the bathroom floor has been flooded several times.

My questions are:

-What damages can I go after him for in court. I may not know for several days if there will be lasting damage to the bathroom floor, but for sure I have missed a day of work which I spent working at the sewage treatment plant that out mobile home has been turned into.

-I live in Clackamas County Oregon. What resources are available for free or cheap to help me? We are not rich. Hello we live in a mobile home park.

xylene

This is classic signs of a septic back up. It could be the tank, t could also be the leach field. There could be a lot of other problems.

Do you own your mobile home?

I strongly suggest you contact:

Clackamas County Septic and Onsite Wastewater Program[

https://www.clackamas.us/septic
and the Public Health Department

xylene

Also - work with your neighbors. This issue is very likely to effect every last one of you.

FarmerJ

I suggest you spend the money and install a check valve underneath your home , it should prevent a back up from entering your home, it really doesn't take much for water to come out any place that is lower than the source SO say just one of the six homes connected to this septic system is a foot or two or more higher up than your home and the septic system is plugged up its going to come up again and again so this is why I suggest a check valve for your home. BTW did you call your county government center or local building inspections desk or health department to tell them about this septic failure ?

thisisjay

Here is an update.

Rescue Rooter worked on the septic line for close to 5 hours before determining that the issue is a sewer line that was broken when the fresh water line was repaired.

So frustrating because this is what we had originally said the problem was this morning given that it everything stopped draining shortly after the repair.

5 of the 6 mobile homes are above us. We are towards the bottom of a fairly steep hill. We are the only ones having issues because the sewage from the 5 mobile homes above us is coming to us. The one mobile home below us is fine because they drain directly into the septic tank, past the break.

The landlord is going to pay for a sump pump so that I can have a break from having to restart the siphon every 10-20 minutes. I do need to sleep at some point.

The actual repair will be made tomorrow so we are told.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">