• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord in Connecticut going overboard?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tazman02

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

Just off the top of my head. We rent one floor in a 3 family house from said landlord. We have no written agreement with the landlord so he likes to raise the rent at random. Lets see where to start. Mind you this will be just whatever i remember right now because the list is long. One of my biggest gripes. Theres a one piece 3 car garage in the back up a driveway and its basicly one garage per floor. Well after many years parking one car in the garage (my dads) and mine infront of the garage he decides to tell us (about a year ago) that if i still want to park my car infront of the garage, we will have to pay an extra $50 for an extra car which btw has been there since i was 17 (I'm 27 now). Since that time i have been parking at my moms friends driveway with her permission for free but also since that time he has raised the rent atleast once another $50. He also shut off the water in the cellar so i can't even wash my car here. He has a bad habit of just driving into the driveway and taking up all 3 spots and the other day he did this and my blocked my dads entrance into the garage so my dad just left the car in the driveway blocking him. Of course after awhile the landlord spazzed out and started bitching at my dad about how he is blocking HIS way out and when my dad said he was in his way to begin with the landlord started going on about his usual bs of "i'm the owner" blah blah. Also if something breaks in the house he does not fix it. His latest excuse the other day when asked by the 2nd floor tenant about fixing the worn out floor was "what? you people pay little for rent and you want things done?". So yeah. We also have a soaked ceiling which MAY have mold which we will find out soon from a home test kit i used thats been like that wet for the 15 or so years we've been there because the landlord would not do much about it just kept blaming it on "nature". We also have lights that don't work in the bathroom so i have fun shaving with half the room darker then the other which always works well, we've had to fix our own door knob issues amongst other things and until about a year ago he used our power for a security light. List goes on and on and on. Comments? :)

Tazman02

MandyD said:
Comments?

Move.
Lol. Well if it turns out that there has been Mold in the roof for 15 years (that we have lived there) and thats why i feel like complete sh*t all the time then we are taking him to court because of all the issues i'm having. I think thats the main reason we are still here awaiting the results.... ;)

Gosh, I could write a book of comments.............

First, with no written lease you (and the landlord - for that matter) aren't afforded all of the protections that the law may allow you. For example, without a lease he CAN raise the rent ANY TIME he wants for AS MUCH as he wants, provided he gives you the proper notice (30 days or whatever it is in your state.) If you had a written lease he would have to wait for your lease term to be up to raise it. (If he's just verbally dishing out rent raises that take effect immediately I'd tell him that as soon as you receive it in writing, with the proper notice, you'll be happy to ablige.)

I'm not denying for a minute that the guy sounds like a jerk, but with the current arrangement he basically can be.

As for not fixing stuff, and the mold, etc..... again, SHOULD he take care of stuff - sure he SHOULD, but after the many years you've been there and never "forced" him to do anything about stuff he now obviously doesn't take you seriously.

I can't think of any reason why you'd continue to live like you've described unless your rent is much lower than you could find anywhere else. If you're not happy with the current conditions, like a pp suggested..........MOVE. No one is forcing you to continue living there. It's unlikely that this guy is going to change his ways now or any time soon.

Losing tenants is the only thing that will cause this jerk to realize there's a problem.

Karla in Amarillo

Tazman02

30 days notice? Well he tends to just drop a little letter with some half assed excuse (higher expenses, etc. but how can you have expenses if you do NOTHING to the property unless annoying people is a expense!) in our mailbox and expects the next one to be said amount. Well i'm hope the Mold test comes back positive because of my health issues and we are taking him to court. Daily i have no energy and if i sleep 6 or 12 hours i feel just about the same if not worse if i sleep more, dizzy 24/7, horrible memory and can't focus on anything whatsoever, muscle fatigue issues, headaches, etc. etc.

south

Who pays the water bill?

Tazman02 said:
What is the name of your state? Connecticut

Just off the top of my head. We rent one floor in a 3 family house from said landlord. We have no written agreement with the landlord so he likes to raise the rent at random. Lets see where to start. Mind you this will be just whatever i remember right now because the list is long. One of my biggest gripes. Theres a one piece 3 car garage in the back up a driveway and its basicly one garage per floor. Well after many years parking one car in the garage (my dads) and mine infront of the garage he decides to tell us (about a year ago) that if i still want to park my car infront of the garage, we will have to pay an extra $50 for an extra car which btw has been there since i was 17 (I'm 27 now). Since that time i have been parking at my moms friends driveway with her permission for free but also since that time he has raised the rent atleast once another $50. He also shut off the water in the cellar so i can't even wash my car here. He has a bad habit of just driving into the driveway and taking up all 3 spots and the other day he did this and my blocked my dads entrance into the garage so my dad just left the car in the driveway blocking him. Of course after awhile the landlord spazzed out and started bitching at my dad about how he is blocking HIS way out and when my dad said he was in his way to begin with the landlord started going on about his usual bs of "i'm the owner" blah blah. Also if something breaks in the house he does not fix it. His latest excuse the other day when asked by the 2nd floor tenant about fixing the worn out floor was "what? you people pay little for rent and you want things done?". So yeah. We also have a soaked ceiling which MAY have mold which we will find out soon from a home test kit i used thats been like that wet for the 15 or so years we've been there because the landlord would not do much about it just kept blaming it on "nature". We also have lights that don't work in the bathroom so i have fun shaving with half the room darker then the other which always works well, we've had to fix our own door knob issues amongst other things and until about a year ago he used our power for a security light. List goes on and on and on. Comments? :)

Tazman02 said:
30 days notice? Well he tends to just drop a little letter with some half assed excuse (higher expenses, etc. but how can you have expenses if you do NOTHING to the property unless annoying people is a expense!) in our mailbox and expects the next one to be said amount. Well i'm hope the Mold test comes back positive because of my health issues and we are taking him to court. Daily i have no energy and if i sleep 6 or 12 hours i feel just about the same if not worse if i sleep more, dizzy 24/7, horrible memory and can't focus on anything whatsoever, muscle fatigue issues, headaches, etc. etc.
So now I'm wondering if you just want someone to vent to about your crappy landlord, or what?

I don't think there's any denying that, based on your description of the situation, the guy is a class 1 crappy landlord. Why have you stayed all this time?

The presence of mold is not a reason to stay. You've taken the test, so get the heck out. Your results aren't going to change whether or not you live in the property. Heck, you could have moved 5 years ago and you could still make a case against the guy if he KNEW there was mold present. There is nothing to be gained by continuing to live there. In fact it could work against you in a court case. They'll want to know why you continued to live there if you were that sick and thought it was because of mold.

There's NOTHING keeping you there..................quit whining.

Tazman02

Venting? Okay. I was trying to find out if there are laws against what he is doing. Anyways as far as KNOWING that mold was there i did not. I went for a blood test/physical and they took 4 viles of blood and found nothing except my B levels were 2x normal but nothing serious. And here i am with much worse symptoms a year later and the results which came today show that we do infact have mold in this great place. Unfortuntly from quick research i found out that a "clean" building is roughly 500-700 spores, 2000 being pretty bad and higher is alot worse. Well we have 740,000....... So yeah. We've been here for roughly 15 years and moving at this point won't help my health issues so court is all i can do at this point...

bdancer

I wouldn't start spending that big lawsuit settlement just yet. If you lived there for 15 years and didn't know about the mold, how the hell was the landlord suppose to know about it? Seems to me that the landlord, no matter how big a jerk he is, couldn't be held responsible for a problem that he didn't know existed.

Tazman02

bdancer said:
I wouldn't start spending that big lawsuit settlement just yet. If you lived there for 15 years and didn't know about the mold, how the hell was the landlord suppose to know about it? Seems to me that the landlord, no matter how big a jerk he is, couldn't be held responsible for a problem that he didn't know existed.
He was told many times from the 1st year we lived here that the roof is leaking and he did try to fix it by just covering up the obvious areas and now recently he had some guys up there working on it. But each and every time he did something he boot legged it. You know. Hole in car? Lets put some bubble gum on it, etc. Obviously he doesn't know about the mold but he is the owner and he is responsible for my health issues steming from his lack of doing anything that a owner should do. Plus these days if you can sue Mcdonalds for making you fat i think i'd get by just fine in this case since i'm not fat but i do have problems that people 2x my age have amongst other things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">