• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Issue not fixing things

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GreenEyedZombie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I rent a home that was built in the late 1800 When I moved in they said that they would be fixing my front porch that's falling apart and replace my windows, which are broke. Their double pane windows and most of them are broke so only one pane is left, moisture is getting in the house, causing mold. They no the condition of the home but don't do anything about it. We never signed a rental agreement, since they never brought it over. We took pictures of the place when we moved in, always pay by check to cover are self's. They own the home next door my father use to live there but after his wife passed away they kicked him out and had there daughter move in. They have been fixing the house up next door making it like new, but haven't done anything about my home. You'll probably ask why haven't we moved. Well we just can't afford to right now. I want to know if any law is on my side and what I can do about them not fixing the house. I know that our electric company will replace the windows for free. But the landlords wont do it because they would have to have the house inspected and it wont pass. It would probably be condemned. Which would be sad it could be such a lovely house. When we moved it we did have a bathroom for over 3 weeks, they were having the wall replaced. So we had to live with a big hole in the wall and we were having a snow storm at that time. We had to keep that part of the house warm so the pipes wouldn't freeze and our electric bill was so high. All they did was knock a $125 off the rent. We also had to clean the mice infested kitchen when we moved in. My father came over and helped them paint and clean up the house before we moved in. We moved in because they promised to fix lots of things and needed a place to live. We trusted them since they were my fathers friends. But I guess they aren't since they kicked him out of his home right after his wife died. They didn't give him a written notice to move they told him verbally. My Father didn't want to fight with him since his wife just passed. He wasn't in the right mind. Please help. I want to know if I have any rights and what I can do.

Thank you Jessica

FarmerJ

Jessica if you cant afford to move and if there were issues your city / county inspections that were real serious ( if you called them out ) then what could happen is that the property is (at the worst condemned ) and your gonna have to move out anyway or they are ordered to make repairs and they refuse which would lead to you having to move anyway Or last but not least, say they do fix what ever is ordered by city /county inspections they might choose to wait enough time that they have little to no risk of any claim of retaliatory eviction or retaliation and give you notice to get out, raise the rent a lot , impose new rules etc. SO unless your prepared to move then maybe the thing to do is to do what ever you must to find a new place then give proper written notice via certified mail that your going to move, take one heck of a lot of pictures of the place showing the things that need repair and any so called general wear and tear and be done with them.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I rent a home that was built in the late 1800 When I moved in they said that they would be fixing my front porch that's falling apart and replace my windows, which are broke. Their double pane windows and most of them are broke so only one pane is left, moisture is getting in the house, causing mold. They no the condition of the home but don't do anything about it. We never signed a rental agreement, since they never brought it over. We took pictures of the place when we moved in, always pay by check to cover are self's. They own the home next door my father use to live there but after his wife passed away they kicked him out and had there daughter move in. They have been fixing the house up next door making it like new, but haven't done anything about my home. You'll probably ask why haven't we moved. Well we just can't afford to right now. I want to know if any law is on my side and what I can do about them not fixing the house. I know that our electric company will replace the windows for free. But the landlords wont do it because they would have to have the house inspected and it wont pass. It would probably be condemned. Which would be sad it could be such a lovely house. When we moved it we did have a bathroom for over 3 weeks, they were having the wall replaced. So we had to live with a big hole in the wall and we were having a snow storm at that time. We had to keep that part of the house warm so the pipes wouldn't freeze and our electric bill was so high. All they did was knock a $125 off the rent. We also had to clean the mice infested kitchen when we moved in. My father came over and helped them paint and clean up the house before we moved in. We moved in because they promised to fix lots of things and needed a place to live. We trusted them since they were my fathers friends. But I guess they aren't since they kicked him out of his home right after his wife died. They didn't give him a written notice to move they told him verbally. My Father didn't want to fight with him since his wife just passed. He wasn't in the right mind. Please help. I want to know if I have any rights and what I can do.

Thank you Jessica
Start here: https://www.osbar.org/public/legalinfo/tenant.html

On that page: https://www.osbar.org/public/legalinfo/1256_GettingRepairsMade.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">