• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord issues - advice needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Abigale

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? RI

I notified my landlord back at the end of April, that I will not be renewing my lease...and if possible, to end the lease two months early - The response was that she and her relator would get started ASAP and that as long as she was able to find a new tenant, I would be able to cut the lease short. Fair enough.

Then she tells me she wants to do work in the apartment, redo the bathroom, fix the windows and then a general touch up throughout. I allow her to come up and take measurements when she asked.

Nearly three months later, the apartment has JUST been listed, and she is expecting me to move out in July, but continue to pay rent until my lease is up. I explain there must have been a misunderstanding as I was under the impression I would move out when she found a new tenant.

She then says that I should have notified her sooner (my lease states give 3 months notice, I did) and that she needs to begin renovations in the apartment asap; that once the apartment is looking more up to date, it will be easier to find a new tenant and in turn allow me to cut my lease short.

So now, not only is she expecting me to move out and continue to pay rent, but I am being bullied into allowing her to do all of her renovations while I am still here. I feel like this whole situation has taken a turn for the worse and I am stressing out over it.

Is there something I can do to get out of this mess??

Gail in Georgia

"Is there something I can do to get out of this mess??"

Yes. Tell here you will continue to live there (and pay rent) until your lease normally expires. THEN she can enter the rental unit and begin the process of renovating it. Once that is completed she can put it on the market once again.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">