• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord law, true or false?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dduglass

What is the name of your state?tn
Seems like i read this somewhere online, that if someone has rented their house out, that they have to wait 2-3 years of not renting it before they can sell their house...anyone ever heard of this law? and is it state specific and what is the wait period if true.

BL

I don't know where you heard that from, but renters are just that renters.

The owner of the Property could sell it at anytime,however if the tenant has a lease ,the new owners would have to honor it . If it is a month to month rental ( no long term lease ) , the new owner can give proper notice just like the prior owner could have.

Look up your State's Landlord tenant Laws .

dduglass

another way of saying it, I have placed a contract on a house that was used as rental property till recently, the owner wants to sell and i placed a offer on it for my primary residence and not rental property, i dont want to find out down the road that he/i did something wrong...thanks,,,

BL

As I stated any rental leases transfer over to the new owner , so just be aware of that.

Say if the tenants have a yr. lease, it transfers with new owner. The new owner must honor it .

I have seen new owner in that situation offer there tenants 3 months free rent , to move at the end of that 90 days, or 30 days and pay them equal rent of 60 - 90 days .

If you were to make such a contract , do it it writing signed by both you and the tenant . Keep records .

The tenants have no obligation to except an early move out offer though .

If they are month to month, just give them proper notice to move .

divgradcurl

Blonde Lebinese is correct, but I would add just one thing. If you live in an area that has rent control, then there may be a local ordinance that limits the sale of rental units for use as non-rental units, or limits the conversion of rental units to non-rental units. These types of ordinances, if they exist in your community, are locality-specific.

BL

divgradcurl said:
Blonde Lebinese is correct, but I would add just one thing. If you live in an area that has rent control, then there may be a local ordinance that limits the sale of rental units for use as non-rental units, or limits the conversion of rental units to non-rental units. These types of ordinances, if they exist in your community, are locality-specific.
Also, before any transaction have it gone over by a real estate Lawyer and make sure your going to get what your paying for .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">