• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord left (property now in forclosure)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sean finn

The landlord for the Apt. that I rent left town and now the property is in forclosure. The landlord can not be found and he has my last months rent and security deposit. The bank that holds the title for the property has been collecting the rent for the last 6 months. Is the bank responsible for paying these debts. I am moving out in January and don't want to pay for the last month again and would like to get my security deposit back. If anyone knows who is responsible for these debts please respond. I live in Illinois.

HomeGuru

You need to clarify the exact situation. You state that the property is in foreclosure yet also state that the bank has title to the property.
It is either one or the other. If you meant to say that the bank holds the mortgage, then the bank is not liable. If the bank really has title, then the bank as legal owner is responsble for your deposit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">