• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord made change to verbal agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MarcSam

Staten Island, New York

Hi, I moved into a small community in Staten Island New York in a short term position. I have an apartment that I am ready to move into on June 1st. I have already paid this community over 700 dollars and am going to make another payment tomorrow of $500 and because I am a day late they are ordering me to leave by tomorrow. I have receipts of payment and even have an email from them confirming I could stay until June 1st. I was wondering what I can do legally to fight this, I work and I dont have the time or resources to be out of here by tomorrow - any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance

MarcSam

It's a community in staten island - they have arrangements where you can work there and stay or rent a room daily for $50 per night. (Im doing the latter) The arrangements at first was that i needed a place to stay short time (I moved in a little over 3 weeks ago) and I'd pay them as I would get on my feet. There are a few houses on the land and there are about 4 or 5 people to a house. I don't work there to stay, I have a job already and I have already paid them $700. I spoke with a representative over email yesterday telling her I found a place and my move in date was June 1st..I got an email from her early this morning telling me ok, they expected me to be out by June 1st and to keep up with my payments. 2 Hours later 2 guys show up at my door from the community telling me I have to be out by tomorrow morning. My living arrangements were not specified but to be here a short time so my June 1st move out date would mean I would have been here about 6 weeks. Please let me know if you have any more questions and thank you for the quick response.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You may wish to move to a motel 6 for only a little more per night until your new place is ready.

MarcSam

so they can just throw me out? with the payments i made and the email i got this morning telling me i can stay till june 1?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Frankly, if you are late, they may be able to. I'm not sure how the law applies to the situation you describe, but I suspect it might be better for you to simply not be there. Really.

Take the $500 and get a hotel room for two weeks. Is there a problem with that?

xylene

The way I read this, you will not be harmed. You won't have to pay them any more money and you have stayed more nights than you've paid for.

Consider it a deal. Get a motel for your 500 dollars. Look on Craigslist. Sleep in a shelter or park is you have to. You can't make them let you stay until June 1, especially give you are late on payment.

adjusterjack

It seems like you are a day to day lodger, just like in a motel, and you can be tossed out for non-payment at any time.

I agree with the other responses that it would be unwise to pay the $500 without a WRITTEN agreement that you can stay until Jun 1.

If they won't give you a WRITTEN agreement, take your $500 elsewhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">