• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord not paying property taxes for 3rd year?!?!???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bbtsmile2

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

There are a lot of moving pieces but I'll try to keep it short. I've been staying in the house for 8 1/2 years, owner died wife took over, cant count on them to make repairs, house needs work and son says he convinced mom to sell to us because not worth the hassle. I thought Great! The issue is that they keep telling us that they are trying to get it out of dead mans name into widows name. I am fed up and on top of that previous 2 year taxes haven't been paid. They keep asking for rent and still haven't repaired hole from plaster ceiling falling in. I have been paying rent but I'm not in a hurry at this point. I want to contact the company that bought the home in tax auction to make a deal or at least be able to bid for it in upcoming tax auction in August. I need some advice, I don't want to move.

FlyingRon

The property taxes are NOT your concern. There's nothing that says your rent is contingent on him paying his taxes or the mortgage or whatever.
As for the repairs, if you make them in writing, you can fix and deduct the cost of the repairs yourself from the rent after 45 days.

As for the tax auction, watch for notices on the property and the local newspaper. If there's a mortgage, you're probably not going to get it for less than what the lender has in it. You're free to contact the buyer, they may indeed want to hear from you.

PayrollHRGuy

You have two separate issues here.

You as a renter need to read this about the repairs that need to be made. https://www.mslegalservices.org/resource/landlord-tenant-law-in-mississippi#When must a landlord make repairs to a rental unit

Perspective home buyer. Get your finances together and buy it at the auction. You will likely get a good deal.

I am confused your wrote...

I want to contact the company that bought the home in tax auction to make a deal or at least be able to bid for it in upcoming tax auction in August.
"bought" is past tense and means that is already been sold. I don't think you meant that.

Why do you think a company will buy it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">