• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord not return security deposit. What can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vacko8591

California

I put $2800 down for an apartment I recently moved out of . On the day of returning all the keys I asked him to take a look around the house to see if there are any repairs or cleaning need to be done. He said no. But now the landlord wants to deduct from our security deposit for repairs and cleaning. What can I do to have my security deposit return?

Thank you

vacko8591

Sue.

CA is very strict on final inspections and the return of the security deposit. Read the statute:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=CIV&sectionNum=1950.5.
Hello,

Thanks for the reply and information.

They're also spamming my phones with pictures of the apartment and telling us be landlord is hard and mentioning to us they have a lot of things to pay.

Telling us to pay for a broken window we didn't break. Someone toss an object at the window and it cracked. Do you know if all houses have to be insured?

thanks

FarmerJ

So your clear landlords do not have to allow tenants to make repairs and as far as any extra cleaning if you had already moved out the LL doesn't have to let you back in to do extra cleaning. If you think the LL was not fair re the deposit funds or did not follow your states laws then ultimately small claims court is where you will end up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">