• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord orders tenant to purchase for renovations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

convoy71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My sister law and her bf, have been renting half a double block house in Hanover Township, Luzerne County PA for 5+ yrs...He was living in the house before he had her move in so he's been there 10+ yrs.

They have a somewhat elderly landlady but (rarely) has had a relative do minor maintenance. But many times, I will name him "M" (sister-n-law's bf) I have helped him do minor work, like broken toilet and replace light bulbs when they are not able to to get in contact with landlady.

But now the landlady has begun making demands that they purchase "new ceiling fans, paint inside of house, Venetian blinds and fix up stair wall that is falling apart"....Its not the point of want this work done in house she owns and rents to them....She demands they purchase items and install...Without taking from rent and like most anywhere is high....

Tell me in the state of PA you cant demand your tenant purchase for the house expect them to install. They are concern to question their living liability. As to say "no we are purchasing or installing" and landlord says "fine, leave".....Im going to talk to him, see what is stated on their lease...But I highly doubt a landlord can demand such things. Tenant financially and physically up keeps at demand and has no say.

Andy0192

....Its not the point of want this work done in house she owns and rents to them....She demands they purchase items and install...Without taking from rent and like most anywhere is high....

Tell me in the state of PA you cant demand your tenant purchase for the house expect them to install. They are concern to question their living liability. As to say "no we are purchasing or installing" and landlord says "fine, leave".....Im going to talk to him, see what is stated on their lease...But I highly doubt a landlord can demand such things. Tenant financially and physically up keeps at demand and has no say.
I haven't seen the lease agreement, and I'll assume the OP hasn't either. In PA it is legal to have the tenant pay for minor repairs up to a certain amount, if agreed to in the lease. Considering that the items stated sound much more major in nature, if the landlord wants those types of repairs done, then the landlord should contract to have them done.

If the landlord is not offering payment (or a deduction in rent) in exchange for doing those repairs, it sounds like she is doing them a favor if she kicks them out of a house where the rent is high & the stairs are falling apart.

You can usually find a nice house to rent that doesn't need fix up work if you're willing to pay a high rent.

Now, if the rent they currently pay is below market price, and the landlord is trying to fix it up so she can sell it (or charge a higher rent), you will need to be much more cautious in your approach...

Good luck.

Searchertwin

But now the landlady has begun making demands that they purchase "new ceiling fans, paint inside of house, Venetian blinds and fix up stair wall that is falling apart"....Its not the point of want this work done in house she owns and rents to them....She demands they purchase items and install...Without taking from rent and like most anywhere is high....
You really didn't state if the tenants has caused any damage to what the LL wants repaired. For instance, the fans, did they break the light fixtures? Blades?
Stair wall - did they knock holes in them? Smudges, or kids coloring on the wall as they go up or down?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">