• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord past 14 days for notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Silverplum

The USPS forwarding was in place before we moved, it started the 27th of October. The new address wasn't sent to the landlord mainly because we only had a 20 day notice to move a place we'd been living in for four years. We only had the new address on the 25th and had little time to get everything moved and do some cleaning. The move was very chaotic, few could help, one of our helpers pushed himself too hard an had a seizure requiring an ambulance, the elevator was broken and we lived on the third floor, we moved to a third floor apartment, I had the flu, and a very heavy load at work. I didn't receive the rundown until the 25th of November after he'd contacted me on the 18th asking for my address. In the statement is says that he mailed it to the old address. This is unlikely as we only moved about ten miles from our previous location and the forwarding was already in place to start the day we moved out on the 27th.

But if I can't prove it I won't bring that to court if necessary.

From what I have gathered, I should send him by certified mail him a very polite summary of what I will and won't pay, and why I dispute most of the charges including a check for the amount. If he takes me to court, show up and counter with the lateness of the deposit notice, how I had offered to clean the carpets professionally and he said he was going to replace them and not do go forward with that, how he is charging for a blind that was never installed, and other nonsense. I have to do some extensive dental work next week so I would like to type up a letter and send it off before, though I am still checking a few more avenues for advice. I have never been in court as an adult and admit it isn't my area of expertise, and I have never had this type of issue with a landlord. I don't know if there are any tricks he has available to him or if I am not interpreting the law correctly for my situation.
Your "chaotic" move is irrelevant to the landlord or the legal discussion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">