• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord raising rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilith49

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? kentucky
i have a years lease withmy landlord until april 2006. this month he came and gave me a written notice that he was going to raise my rent 30.00 satrting feb. 2006. can he do this without my aggrement. i live on disabillity and the 30.00 dollars he raised the rent took my cost of living raise and more. :confused:

lilith49

i have a years lease withmy landlord until april 2006. this month he came and gave me a written notice that he was going to raise my rent 30.00 satrting feb. 2006. can he do this without my aggrement. i live on disabillity and the 30.00 dollars he raised the rent took my cost of living raise and more. :confused:

fairlight

The advantage of a lease is that it keeps the landlord from raising your rent for the duration of the lease. If you moved in in April of 2005, he can't raise your rent in February, 2006. When the lease expires in April of 2006, you become a month-to-month tenant. He can raise your rent then, but he must give you proper notice of the raise, and if you live in a city under rent control, he can only raise your rent by the amount acceptable under that.

That you "agree" to the amount or you don't agree isn't relevant. It's what the law allows the landlord to do or not do.

HomeGuru

lilith49 said:

**A: on what grounds is he telling you he has a right to raise the rent?

lilith49

fairlight said:
The advantage of a lease is that it keeps the landlord from raising your rent for the duration of the lease. If you moved in in April of 2005, he can't raise your rent in February, 2006. When the lease expires in April of 2006, you become a month-to-month tenant. He can raise your rent then, but he must give you proper notice of the raise, and if you live in a city under rent control, he can only raise your rent by the amount acceptable under that.

That you "agree" to the amount or you don't agree isn't relevant. It's what the law allows the landlord to do or not do.

after i told him that he couldnt raise my rent till april 06 he came and said that if i didnt pay the increase that he would not renew my lease in april. when it came time to pay feb. rent i didnt pay the increase. i sent my mother a letter telling her what he had said and told her not to open it i just wanted it for the post mark to prove what i was saying. on feb. 17 i got a letter that said he didnt want to renew my lease he gave me no reason and said to be out march 31. can i sue him and what can i get. i also have 2 wittnesses the people who live downstairs. i would have paid the increase in april with no fight but he knows that my husband will have been dead only 2 years in april and it was verry hard on me because i woke to find he had a seizure in his sleep and passed at the age of 46. after the way he talked i knew he thought that he could theaten me now that my husband was gone and it really really made me mad

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">