• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Refusal of TIN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ssfntsy

I am in the state of Florida. I became unemployed in March 2019 and my husband lost his job October 2019. Our rent continued to be paid in full until the month of October. We fell short $270 of the monthly rent. We were unable to pay any rent for the month of November. I did gain employment 11/19/19 and was approached by my landlord about when I would be able to pay something on the past due balance of $1120. He told me that "they" are wanting him to file eviction paperwork on us, but that he was trying to help us and didn't want to put an eviction on our rental history because it would be difficult for us to gain another rental anywhere in Florida. He told me he needed some type of payment. I advised him of my pay date being 12/06/19 but that I would not be able to be completely caught un until the month of January. The landlord said he would get with "them" ( I assume the them he was referring to was the property owners) and see if they would allow me more time. He stated that if they would not allow it he would let me know by 12/02/19 that way we could hold on to monies from my paycheck to find another place. However, he never told us the outcome of that conversation. I visited the Volusia County Human Services 12/05/19, per his reference, to apply for rental assistance. They approved me the same day. They provided me with documents for my landlord to sign: W-9 and non-eviction forms and said the sooner they are completed returned the faster payment would be issued but that it must be done promptly as funds may not be available. My husband took the paperwork to the landlord, but when I called in the afternoon to ask the landlord if he had faxed the documents he told me he WOULD NOT complete the W-9 because "they won't allow him to use or give out the TIN and that he wasn't going to use his SSN either. I wanted to know if there was some legal reason that a TIN could not be supplied to the Volusia County Human Services department? I did research and located the FEI number for them of 47-2801643 in their Foreign Limited Liability documents which is public record dated 05/31/2016. I also wanted to know if this is legal for the landlord to refuse payment from a County office? And lastly what my options would be at this point in time? Please assist me with this as I am not wanting to be homeless and I am trying everything I can and have looked at all types of resources to pay the delinquent and current rent.

PayrollHRGuy

There doesn't have to be a legal reason for them to withhold their TIN as they are not required to give it to any entity they aren't taking money from. And yes they can refuse to enter into an agreement with the county.

My bet is the owners have a problem signing any agreement that limits their ability to evict you when you are behind on your rent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">