• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Refusal to take care of Mice Infestation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrBlayne

State: Michigan - Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area

I reported to my landlord around 6-7 months ago about a mouse infestation. And he is refusing to take care of it. In my lease it not my responsibility for such things. But he has put it solely on me to take care of this. As to add a vent cover to the dryer vent and suggested he knows of the issue and the tenants from over a year ago had the same issue and to put steel wool in certain areas to help detract them. I should mention our house is kept very clean as to deter them even more. All of my request are documented.

Is this enough to break my lease early since its still an on going issue and I have killed upwards of 12 mice with little to no help from him to address the issue?

Last edited:

adjusterjack

Is this enough to break my lease early
Maybe not.

I don't find anything in the Michigan landlord tenant statutes that addresses pest control. However, there is this:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(yn0pqsl5fsjyo0dgn5wp1flf))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-554-139

Which may or may not apply to pest control.

Since the duty is not in your lease it could be argued that the person responsible for pest control is the person in whose care, custody and control the house is.

On the other hand it could be a health issue addressed by local ordinance so I agree with Zigner that a report to the health inspector is in order.

Unfortunately, if the health department can't or won't do anything, it's likely that you are stuck until your lease is up (unless you want to go to court over it) and then you can find another place to live.

Meantime, keep putting out those traps. 12 mice in 6 months isn't exactly an infestation though I can understand the annoyance factor. Understand that all houses are subject to having mice and insects. They were here before the dawn of man and will be here after we become extinct.

LdiJ

Se
Maybe not.

I don't find anything in the Michigan landlord tenant statutes that addresses pest control. However, there is this:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(yn0pqsl5fsjyo0dgn5wp1flf))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-554-139

Which may or may not apply to pest control.

Since the duty is not in your lease it could be argued that the person responsible for pest control is the person in whose care, custody and control the house is.

On the other hand it could be a health issue addressed by local ordinance so I agree with Zigner that a report to the health inspector is in order.

Unfortunately, if the health department can't or won't do anything, it's likely that you are stuck until your lease is up (unless you want to go to court over it) and then you can find another place to live.

Meantime, keep putting out those traps. 12 mice in 6 months isn't exactly an infestation though I can understand the annoyance factor. Understand that all houses are subject to having mice and insects. They were here before the dawn of man and will be here after we become extinct.
Serious ditto on the bolded. I caught a little one crawling into my house via a hole in a window screen...and I have cats!

adjusterjack

Mickey and Minnie visited me last year. I killed them both before they could make babies. No sign of mice since.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">