• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord reneging on lease agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dwindish

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ARIZONA
My boyfriend, his 4 year old, and I have been renting a house in Show Low AZ from first time home renters. We are in our second years rental agreement, when about a month ago our landlord called us asking if we could please move out early because their finances were not "working out" so they need to move back into their house. I told her I would speak with my boyfriend and we will see what our finances will allow us, where she continued to call and basically passive aggressively bullied us out of her house. We are still in the house, we asked her if it would be okay if we paid rent for august and then perhaps she could cover her own mortgage for Sept. so we could save money to move--we struggle financially and she is aware of this, but we have always paid rent on time and made our bills. She refused, saying that they have already dipped into their savings so it wont seem possible, where she offered to have us pay half of the rent for August which would amount to $300, and also agreed to giving us an extra week, the first week of Sept., to wait for a paycheck to deposit to aid us in the move. This was 5 to 6 days ago. Tonight, we've received a message from her demanding $135 for the extra week in Sept. We would like to know our rights, considering that our lease agreement is still withstanding, in writing, and she is trying to terminate it almost 6 months early. We do not have the financial ability to move and it was made apparent to her, also in the past she has been aware of our financial turmoil , but we have ALWAYS paid rent on time and in full. There have been other discrepancies on her part, such as not taking responsibility for the maintenance of the house--she has not made any necessary repairs. I would like advice in this matter.

Last edited:

OK-LL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ARIZONA
My boyfriend, his 4 year old, and I have been renting a house in Show Low AZ from first time home renters. We are in our second years rental agreement, when about a month ago our landlord called us asking if we could please move out early because their finances were not "working out" so they need to move back into their house. I told her I would speak with my boyfriend and we will see what our finances will allow us, where she continued to call and basically passive aggressively bullied us out of her house. We are still in the house, we asked her if it would be okay if we paid rent for august and then perhaps she could cover her own mortgage for Sept. so we could save money to move--we struggle financially and she is aware of this, but we have always paid rent on time and made our bills. She refused, saying that they have already dipped into their savings so it wont seem possible, where she offered to have us pay half of the rent for August which would amount to $300, and also agreed to giving us an extra week, the first week of Sept., to wait for a paycheck to deposit to aid us in the move. This was 5 to 6 days ago. Tonight, we've received a message from her demanding $135 for the extra week in Sept. We would like to know our rights, considering that our lease agreement is still withstanding, in writing, and she is trying to terminate it almost 6 months early. We do not have the financial ability to move and it was made apparent to her, also in the past she has been aware of our financial turmoil , but we have ALWAYS paid rent on time and in full. There have been other discrepancies on her part, such as not taking responsibility for the maintenance of the house--she has not made any necessary repairs. I would like advice in this matter.
If you have a current lease (meaning you are not month-to-month) the landlord cannot make you move out before the end of the lease. If you don't want to cut the lease short to accommodate the landlord, just tell the landlord plainly that you intend to complete the term of the lease. The landlord has options, such as renting an inexpensive place, etc., and this is not your problem. But don't be wishy-washy about it because that will lead the landlord on. Just speak plainly and be upfront. You don't have to give the landlord your reasons for staying, you just have to tell her that you have a lease and you're sticking to it. But keep in mind that the landlord will likely do the minimum repairs possible, respond to repair requests as slowly as the law allows, and will not be charming to work with going forward. So be it. Start putting funds aside now to finance your next move -- you already know exactly when that will be, so plan for it.

Last edited:

dwindish

If you have a current lease (meaning you are not month-to-month) the landlord cannot make you move out before the end of the lease. If you don't want to cut the lease short to accommodate the landlord, just tell the landlord plainly that you intend to complete the term of the lease. The landlord has options, such as renting an inexpensive place, etc., and this is not your problem. But don't be wishy-washy about it because that will lead the landlord on. Just speak plainly and be upfront. You don't have to give the landlord your reasons for staying, you just have to tell her that you have a lease and you're sticking to it. But keep in mind that the landlord will likely do the minimum repairs possible, respond to repair requests as slowly as the law allows, and will not be charming to work with going forward. So be it. Start putting funds aside now to finance your next move -- you already know exactly when that will be, so plan for it.
Thank you! I appreciate your insight!

FarmerJ

as long as you have your copy of the lease go make a second copy to store off site , as in at a trusted friend or relatives incase this LL tries to do something as dumb as locking you out. BTW next time your LL ask you if your gonna move etc stand your ground & say NO ,( nein, nyet, ) and you wont be out until the end of your lease. Let the LL have a hissy fit, not your problem.

STEPHAN

You don’t know what to do in your situation and come to an internet forum for help, when a lawyer would have charged you a lot of money.

You get help from an expert, who points out the applicable laws and now criticize him for that?

Yes, you are right, you could have googled that yourself. But you did not.

You asked for free help, now please respect the people that try to help you.

dwindish

You don’t know what to do in your situation and come to an internet forum for help, when a lawyer would have charged you a lot of money.

You get help from an expert, who points out the applicable laws and now criticize him for that?

Yes, you are right, you could have googled that yourself. But you did not.

You asked for free help, now please respect the people that try to help you.
1. I was all over google looking at the law, and yes, I did find that exact page--which I COULDNT UNDERSTAND. Which is why I came on this forum. So please dont assume.

2. I believe you have to give respect to get respect, not getting respect because you think you deserve it, and that poster was incredibly disrespectful.

This forum has been very disappointing. Thank you all who actually provided me with advice and not just a link to a legal page which I might not understand.
I will not be returning or recommending this forum to anyone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">