• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sharee Jo

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? My landlord has asked us to move out while she makes repairs. We just moved in a month ago. Is she responsible for the cost?

Mass_Shyster

Maybe

what state?
Do you have a lease? If so, how long?
Why are repairs needed?
Did you request the repairs?
Did you create the need for repairs?

Sharee Jo

Alas
Maybe

what state?
Do you have a lease? If so, how long?
Why are repairs needed?
Did you request the repairs?
Did you create the need for repairs?
Alaska and yes I have a lease. Just moved in about 45 days ago. No I didn't request the repairs, she decided that she wants to put property up for sale and hired a contracter and I guess 2 yrs ago there was major water issue but she neglected to do anything so now after just moving in I'm told to move out temporarily with no exact length of time I will be displaced. She offered to bring plywood over & I could put everything on it in the driveway & put a tarp over it & offered her tiny camper with no amenities while the contractor saying he needs to take all the flooring out of the house & treat the mold & says it shouldn't be more than a month. Can she do this?

zddoodah

Are you a month-to-month tenant, or are you on a long-term lease? If the latter, what is the term of the lease?

quincy

It appears from the information in the links provided by Mass_Shyster that, if you have a lease and your landlord “excludes you from the premises or willfully diminishes services,” you have the right to terminate the rental agreement and recover up to 1 1/2 times your actual damages.

quincy

Sharee Jo should look at Section 34.03.210, Tenant’s remedies for landlord’s unlawful ouster, exclusion, or diminution of services, and also recovery of any prepaid rent and security deposit, Section 34.03.070 (d).

Sharee Jo

Sharee Jo should look at Section 34.03.210, Tenant’s remedies for landlord’s unlawful ouster, exclusion, or diminution of services, and also recovery of any prepaid rent and security deposit, Section 34.03.070 (d).
I was given an eviction notice today. She is upset because I couldn't be out of the residence in the 10 days she verbally gave me for the contractor to be here to do the repairs. I just moved in june 15th. I repack my belongings & did my best to get it moved but I had no where to put my stuff or a truck to move it & with just starting a new job, and my move I couldn't financially afford it. I also have no where to go while the work is done & there been only verbal of how many days this could take. Up to a month. Now I can take the money for rent & rent storage & truck & would have to hire some help in moving it all. Ive had to take 2.5 days off work to pack everything. If I pay to get out then I dont have rent & she going to proceed to evict, if I pay rent then I can't afford to move and she made that clear that she will evict because I'm not allowing her the ability to make necessary repairs. Idk what to do.

LdiJ

I was given an eviction notice today. She is upset because I couldn't be out of the residence in the 10 days she verbally gave me for the contractor to be here to do the repairs. I just moved in june 15th. I repack my belongings & did my best to get it moved but I had no where to put my stuff or a truck to move it & with just starting a new job, and my move I couldn't financially afford it. I also have no where to go while the work is done & there been only verbal of how many days this could take. Up to a month. Now I can take the money for rent & rent storage & truck & would have to hire some help in moving it all. Ive had to take 2.5 days off work to pack everything. If I pay to get out then I dont have rent & she going to proceed to evict, if I pay rent then I can't afford to move and she made that clear that she will evict because I'm not allowing her the ability to make necessary repairs. Idk what to do.
The fact that she gave you an eviction notice yesterday does not mean that she would win an eviction case if she actually tried to get a judge to evict you. In fact, based on what you have said here, it sounds like its very likely that she would lose an eviction case.

Based on the laws that have been posted, if you choose to move out because of her actions, it sounds like you could sue her for your security deposit plus 1 1/2 times your costs in moving out. I have a feeling that if you were to give in to her wishes to temporarily move out, that if she sells the property quickly she would just attempt to force you out again. You would probably be better off to use whatever funds you have to find someplace else to live quickly, and then sue her for your security deposit and costs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">