• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Selling, just a few questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chris1973

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

My Landlord is selling the house (3family) of which I rent the middle floor. Landlord wants to show the house to prospective buyers which I don't have an issue with at all. I lived there for 12 years(this Nov) and never had an issue with the landlord(and still don't), but I do have some concerns about the showings. The house went on the market yesterday and that's when I noticed the realtor padlock/key holder (or whatever its called) on the door when I got home from work.

Just to clear things up I have no intentions of not allowing anyone into my unit, I know he wants to sell and I will not in any way impede that. My question is about reasonable times that the Landlords agent can show the property.
I already talked with the landlord and when I am at work the house will be shown which is absolutely no problem for me. My concern is after hours when I am home, on the weekends and holidays (with upcoming labor day) for which I didn't get a clear answer.

Like I mentioned in the first paragraph, the house went on the market yesterday, I didn't know nothing about it until I noticed the lockbox thing on the door along with some people by the door when I got home around 6pm. There was a lady agent there with some people to see the house. They didn't ask to see my unit, so no problems there but knowing myself I would have went off on her if she did ask for that (being given no notice whatsoever of what's going on). My question is what can they do afterhours, weekends and holidays? Is it reasonable of them to bother me when I am home after work? Or at home during the weekend or holiday? If I come home today like I do usually at 6pm and they have people there to see the apartment, what do I/should I do?

I have no problems with LL showing the house but I also don't want to be bothered and have people walking in and out on a weekend or labor day or after work.

Last edited:

Gail in Georgia

" My question is what can they do afterhours, weekends and holidays? Is it reasonable of them to bother me when I am home after work? Or at home during the weekend or holiday? If I come home today like I do usually at 6pm and they have people there to see the apartment, what do I/should I do?
I have no problems with LL showing the house but I also don't want to be bothered and have people walking in and out on a weekend or labor day or after work"

The general rule is with adequate notification to you and during reasonable hours (i.e., not at 3 am in the morning). Since many who may be looking to purchase also work during the day, reasonable hours could include weekends, early evenings and holidays such as labor day.

Gail

Chris1973

" My question is what can they do afterhours, weekends and holidays? Is it reasonable of them to bother me when I am home after work? Or at home during the weekend or holiday? If I come home today like I do usually at 6pm and they have people there to see the apartment, what do I/should I do?
I have no problems with LL showing the house but I also don't want to be bothered and have people walking in and out on a weekend or labor day or after work"

The general rule is with adequate notification to you and during reasonable hours (i.e., not at 3 am in the morning). Since many who may be looking to purchase also work during the day, reasonable hours could include weekends, early evenings and holidays such as labor day.

Gail
Fair enough, but is there a limit to this? Like If I am at home on Monday and there are people coming in every hour? They put the house up for a low price since its not in the best of shapes and a ton of people apparently want to see it.

Gail in Georgia

" They put the house up for a low price since its not in the best of shapes and a ton of people apparently want to see it. "

Is this such a bad thing if the house gets sold quickly so you don't have to go through having all these appointments for weeks at a time?

Once again, if you are given adequate notification prior to these appointments and they are scheduled for reasonable times, the unit can be shown. You can choose to be present for each showing or not.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">