• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord tenant disputes personal property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

So ... if I understand correctly, you live in North Carolina. :)

What is the landlord/tenant dispute over personal property all about?

quincy

Please use this thread, Bighoss1. The other threads have been removed. Just don't click on submit until you have your question posted. Thanks. :)

Bighoss1

Do not use the preview function.
The the renter rented my place and they told me they had some time to go do in jail six months. Wow she was in jail her place got broken into several times me and her boyfriend went back in the secured the place and I kept going back and it was broken too so I took the stuff out I actually went up there one time and I I told her boyfriend was going to do and I put her stuff in storage what was left was coming in there and selling purse or trying to and I think she was selling drugs there at the store anyway but I put all her stuff in storage even a storage building and I still have it in there and I she got out in September she knows I have her stuff in storage but she ain't got no money to pay me I have not talked to her she talked to my brother I'm just waiting on her moves first I figured she would get her a lawyer and try to sue me but I'm just waiting she owes me over $2,500 and I'm just waiting to see what she is going to do also I evicted her when she got out of jail and she moved the rest of her stuff what was left everything you've been ransacked I've done the best I could do I'm handicapped and I done the best I could do is getting what I've got as far as what I've got for that for her but she just come at me like I stole her stuff rather than put her stuff up for her so I got pissed off and I'm not even sooner no later or nothing I was going to send you a certified letter and tell her how much she owed me and if she wanted her stuff to come and get it and pay me can she Sue what's her rights.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It sounds to me like you may be illegally withholding her items. I suggest that you speak with a local attorney.

xylene

You should have evicted her when she stopped paying rent. You can evict someone in jail.

You should have insisted her boyfriend arrange storage at his expense.

That's advice which would require a time machine... so moving on:

You have no basis to withhold her property and no basis to charge her for storage.

You need to sue her for any unpaid rent. You have no basis to collect rent for any time you had the apartment rented by another.

You are a landlord. Stop doing favors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">