• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord/tenant issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Here's my dilemma. For over a year, I've been renting an upstairs apartment from someone I've known for many years. There was no security, nor a lease. I have an email from her stating the rent, that I could rent it and what it included. She, boyfriend and kids live downstairs. She tells me they haven't paid the mortgage, which they pay to a trustee (due to declaring bankruptcy years ago), in 3 months and they are selling the house. The for sale sign went up today. I got an email from the boyfriend on November 23rd, saying they were selling, realtor wouldn't put it on the market with me there (obviously he has) and that I had to be out by January 1st (didn't specify a year). I pay promptly every month (have cancelled checks), pay the electric and once paid the cable (supposed to be included) because she didn't. What exactly are my rights here. I've read that if foreclosed, I would then have to pay the lender, also if someone buys it and wants to live in the entire house, i have 90 days, not sure what my rights are. I told her no way could I get downpayment money together for another place by January 1, she was ok with that and said she didn't know b/f sent me that email. What a mess. HELP

FarmerJ

The email from BF print it and save it even though it is not proper notice. For now unless you are given proper notice you dont have to leave. BUT do take the time to copy all your records and store them away from the house like at a relatives or even a bank box so this way your vital documents wont vanish if by chance someone decides to illegally evict you and tosses out your things. Before the home goes into foreclosure you might want to contact a tenants rights group in your state to learn more about what your federal rights are and how they may apply to you once a foreclosure starts, and what your state law rights are and what options you may have.

Thanks for responding so quickly, I have made copies of everything. According to the state of new jersey, when a home goes into foreclosure, the tenants don't necessarily have to leave, but have to pay rent to the lender. At this point foreclosures take so long, that is not my concern and really real estate is not moving, they are asking way too much and going conventional, which means someone has to put down 1/3 rd, but IF someone should buy it, that would be my concern, beings as it is an "owner-occupied" rental, the law is a little different and that is what I was trying to find out...what the law is when the owner is occupying the home and renting an apt. They cannot legally enter this apt, nor can they do anything with my things...so not too worried bout that either.

BL

Thanks for responding so quickly, I have made copies of everything. According to the state of new jersey, when a home goes into foreclosure, the tenants don't necessarily have to leave, but have to pay rent to the lender. At this point foreclosures take so long, that is not my concern and really real estate is not moving, they are asking way too much and going conventional, which means someone has to put down 1/3 rd, but IF someone should buy it, that would be my concern, beings as it is an "owner-occupied" rental, the law is a little different and that is what I was trying to find out...what the law is when the owner is occupying the home and renting an apt. They cannot legally enter this apt, nor can they do anything with my things...so not too worried bout that either.
The Landlord / or agent for the landlord that you currently rent under can follow the State's LL/tenant law to evict you per month to month tenancy .

Look up your State's LL/tenant laws on Mo. - Mo. eviction ,or proper notices .

Last edited:
The Landlord / or agent for the landlord that you currently rent under can follow the State's LL/tenant law to evict you per month to month tenancy .

Look up your State's LL/tenant laws on Mo. - Mo. eviction ,or proper notices .

Thanks, but I'm not sure where to find those laws or what State's LL/tenant laws are? They weren't actually evicting me, just giving me notice of the sale. I'm guessing it's a month to month thing, beings as there is no lease and as long as they accept the rent check, it's all good. Furthermore, I would doubt, but again don't know the law, that an email, 1/2 of which was a false statement, is enough, I would think you would have to take some sort of real legal papers to put someone on notice. Just need a website or number...something.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">