• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord/Tentant Legal Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sg570

What is the name of your state? Pennslyvania

I am renting an Apartment, and I signed a Lease for 1 year. It is about 6 months into the term of the lease and I am having problems with another Tentant of the building. I have talked to the landlord, and she will not do anything about it. My girlfriend is 8 months pregnant and the Tentant slams doors everyday on purpose to wake her up before I get home from work in the morning. I will be calling the police to file a harrassment suit against this lady because she is very mean and nasty towards us, and will not stop doing it. It is causing unwanted stress for the both of us and I am sick of coming home to a crying girlfriend. I want to tell the landlord that we are moving out and break the lease, but I want my security deposit back. Will I be able to get my deposit back since I am breaking the lease, but it is for reasons that can be addressed by the landlord? After mentioning to the landlord that this is going on, she says "Well, the lady is just lonley." and that is not acceptable as an excuse to harrass someone. So, to sum it up.. Will I have a legal right to my security deposit, and also a legal right to a harrassment case? Thank you!

fairlight

First of all, you have to prove that the tenant is slamming doors just to wake your girlfriend up. That she is "mean" and "nasty" doesn't automatically make for an actionable offense.

You can break your lease; however, you will have to pay for the remaining months on it unless you can work out some agreement with the landlord and help find another tenant (you pay for the advertising, for example).

You can get your security deposit back minus any damage you've done to the apartment beyond the usual wear and tear. I'd be more worried about being stuck for six months rent than the deposit right now.

HomeGuru

sg570 said:
What is the name of your state? Pennslyvania

I am renting an Apartment, and I signed a Lease for 1 year. It is about 6 months into the term of the lease and I am having problems with another Tentant of the building. I have talked to the landlord, and she will not do anything about it. My girlfriend is 8 months pregnant and the Tentant slams doors everyday on purpose to wake her up before I get home from work in the morning. I will be calling the police to file a harrassment suit against this lady because she is very mean and nasty towards us, and will not stop doing it. It is causing unwanted stress for the both of us and I am sick of coming home to a crying girlfriend. I want to tell the landlord that we are moving out and break the lease, but I want my security deposit back. Will I be able to get my deposit back since I am breaking the lease, but it is for reasons that can be addressed by the landlord? After mentioning to the landlord that this is going on, she says "Well, the lady is just lonley." and that is not acceptable as an excuse to harrass someone. So, to sum it up.. Will I have a legal right to my security deposit, and also a legal right to a harrassment case? Thank you!

**A: have you ever thought of calling the police? Or perhaps get this lonely lady a boyfriend?

sg570

ok..

Ok, so it sounds like i'm not going to have any luck here.. but i can set up a camera taping the door, because she slams it multiple times within a few minutes. I cant think of any other way to prove that she is doing just to harrass us, other than video tape and recorder of the converstations. Also, this woman is about 90 years old so i think a boyfriend might be a little harder than it sounds. :eek: thanks for replying

fairlight

I think the kind of help you're looking for is the kind that will tell you that you can break your lease with no difficulty whatsoever, and that you're going to win a harassment suit against a senior citizen because she's "mean" and "nasty." Ain't gonna happen.

Why are you have conversations with this person since you must know in advance what's going to happen?

sg570

So if I understand this correctly, there is no landlord/tenant law stating that if a landlord doesn't do something about a tenant harrassing another tenant, the party being harrassed has no right to move out and break a lease? Lets forget she is 90, and I dont have converstations with this person, the only words ever exchanged are asking her to stop slamming the door, and then she starts screaming. That is what I would tape record if I had to prove this is harrassment. Yes, I do want to move out because this lady is causing problems for my pregnant girlfriend, and yes, I want to get out of my lease. I have asked the landlord to do something about it, and so far nothing has changed. It has only gotten worse because the landlord said something to her. I just dont think it is right for me to have to suffer and stay here or pay the remaining rent. But maybe because its not right is the reason I have no choice. what a wonderful legal system. :mad:

sigh

Develop a paper trail. Notify management in writing. Call the police...get copies of the reports. The only way you might be able to break your lease is if you can prove that you've requested something be done about the harassment and the landlord has failed to do anything.

Also, find out if you can have someone check on this old woman...maybe she shouldn't be living alone...any elder services in your community?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">