• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord termination with cause untrue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Willisar

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? OR

My landlord sent my roommates and I a notice that we were in breach of our lease and they would terminate our rental agreement if we did not correct the breach. The breaches were 1) suspected unauthorized roommate and 2) suspected unauthorized pet. Both claims are untrue. I am not sure why they suspect both of these things - they said they have reports from our neighboors. We are allowed to remedy the situtation within 14 days in order to not have the lease terminated. I'm sure the situtation will be fine, but I am worried about the future.

Could anyone answer a few questions I have about this issue? If their suspicions are not true, can they send me a new notice of termination again for the same reason in less than 6 months and have me evicted? Is there any sort of letter that I can send that tells them that their suspicions are not true? Also, it is possible that a friend might have been over to visit for the evening and brought a pet a few months ago. Can any animals be in my house for any period of time (hours, days, weeks) if I do not have one authorized on my lease? What if they see a visitor that spends the night coming out of my house one morning, is that reasonable cause to terminate my lease?

They are coming to inspect my place tomorrow. I'm sure all will be well as they will find no evidences of a pet or an aditional unauthorized roommate, but any help would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

BL

No pets , means no PETS period , bu you or guest .

Usually you can have guest up to 2 weeks , but ck . your State's laws on this .

That does not mean a Guest can stay that period of time , and another guest stay another period of time , or that guest leave a day or 2 and start staying again .

If there are Guest staying on a regular Basis , then the LL is within their rights .

Last edited:

Willisar

what do I tell them?

Thanks for the info. I will let any future visitors know that they cannot bring their pets with them, even if its only for a few hours.
We have not had guests stay more than once a month for maybe 2 days max - no regular guests or anything. Our friends come over for dinner quite often, but no one spends the night. Is there a letter or anything that I can write them to let them know that the problem they want us to correct does not exist? We just want to make sure we are not evicted. Thanks. :(

longneck

you got a comply-or-quit notice. you are complying, so write them a letter that states that. say something like no one other than the occupants listed on your lease have stayed for more than two consecutive evenings and that you have never had a pet residing in your unit.

if they don't agree with your claim, then the next step is they file for eviction with the courts and you will get a summons. attend as instructed. if what you say is true, then you should be able to poke holes in whatever your LL presents as evidence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">