• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord troubles

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

m1234

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My friend "George" was doing O.K. in his trailer park.

Then George's landlord got upset with him. A disgruntled associate whom George knew years ago spread a terrible rumor which, while untrue, cannot be disproven (easily). It upset most of the neighbors, and he can't come or go without getting eyeballed.

The landlord harrasses him repeatedly and told him he wanted him out. He handed him a sign to sell his trailer, which he put in his window. George went to pay rent one day and the LL told him, "I don't want your money, I want you out." So, although he has the money, he has not paid rent since June.

So George saved his money and kept looking for a new place to live. LL told him a bad reference was all he would give George.

Friday, Aug 23, he received an eviction letter from the court. Cited was failure to pay rent. Also on it the LL claims some of those rumors, citing other neighbors. He has 28 days to comply.

I know he needs a lawyer. I know he needs prayer.

P.S. Please don't question his character. He doesn't have a good enough education to know where to turn. He doesn't have a computer and lives on SSI. I don't know the law well, and I don't know how to help him.

Thanks. m1234

FarmerJ

Does your county have a legal aide society for low income people ? this might be a avenue for your friend to get legal advice .

L

loserrr

Now do you see where his lack of education has put him into this mess?

What letter from the court? what does it say?

what about 28 days? you see your friend is an American and must have his day in court.

Thats why so many people died for this country.

But without good reedin N riting skillz, he can be evcited by NOT showing up ready to defend himself on the appointed court date.

so you need to explain what exactly he got from the court.

abezon

m1234 said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

George went to pay rent one day and the LL told him, "I don't want your money, I want you out." So, although he has the money, he has not paid rent since June.

So George saved his money and kept looking for a new place to live. LL told him a bad reference was all he would give George.

Friday, Aug 23, he received an eviction letter from the court. Cited was failure to pay rent. Also on it the LL claims some of those rumors, citing other neighbors. He has 28 days to comply.

The letter was the first thing he got from the court?? He should have been served with an eviction summons & complaint and been given a chance to file an answer. His defense is that he tried to pay the rent and the landlord refused to take it. Then he pays all the back rent & late fees, etc. to the court immediately. Then he goes to court for a hearing to argue whether the LL can charge him late fees when LL refused to take his money.

If George got the summons and didn't answer, he's out of luck. If he never received notice of the lawsuit, he can file a motion to void the writ of restitution and force the LL to attend a hearing.

Get him in touch with a legal aid society ASAP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">