• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord wants me out faster than stated in letter! Help Please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

:-(

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I am a tenet who has been living in a home for 5 years. My first land lord passed,so I was passed along to a new landlord. I was told that i would have to take care of all lawn Care, Appliances and utility bills in exchange for promised verbally lowered rent plus they would fix the air/heat and repairs. I always paid on time. In 2012 my lease was turned over to a new company and I began paying rent there. Within that time somehow my lease turned over to a month to month but I never signed anything only the lease with my former landlord. In 2013 I called requesting the landlord fix problems with the plumbing (sewer smell is strong in the home) and with the ac/heat(there is no heat or air). No one ever called me back nor did they show up. In 2014 7/1/2014 I did not pay rent. I received notice of non-payment, then shortly after I received a letter stating Non-renewal of lease and I must vacate 30 days of the letter or 8/30/2014. I called the Assistant property manager listed on the bottom sheet. I was told that my home needed to be renovated so they would not be renewing my lease. I requested someone call me to help me find another place within their company to live. Days past no word, so I started looking on my own found a place. I found a new landlord and they called to check with my current landlord about my situation. After that I received a letter from the courts of eviction that was filed 7/29/2014. I'm clueless as to why if I have to leave anyway for renovations that they would file an eviction without notice, or at least something telling me they are going to file. Can they do this? And will I have to leave earlier than the date said on the non-renewal notice? Help please :-(

Last edited:

BL

I am a tenet who has been living in a home for 5 years. My first land lord killed her self so I was passed along to a new landlord. I was told that i would have to take care of all lawn Care, Appliances and utility bills in exchange for promised verbally lowered rent plus they would fix the air/heat and repairs. I always paid on time. In 2012 my lease was turned over to a new company and I began paying rent there. Within that time somehow my lease turned over to a month to month but I never signed anything only the lease with my former landlord. In 2013 I called requesting the landlord fix problems with the plumbing (sewer smell is strong in the home) and with the ac/heat(there is no heat or air). No one ever called me back nor did they show up. In 2014 7/1/2014 I did not pay rent. I received notice of non-payment, then shortly after I received a letter stating Non-renewal of lease and I must vacate 30 days of the letter or 8/30/2014. I called the Assistant property manager listed on the bottom sheet. I was told that my home needed to be renovated so they would not be renewing my lease. I requested someone call me to help me find another place within their company to live. Days past no word, so I started looking on my own found a place. I found a new landlord and they called to check with my current landlord about my situation. After that I received a letter from the courts of eviction that was filed 7/29/2014. I'm clueless as to why if I have to leave anyway for renovations that they would file an eviction without notice, or at least something telling me they are going to file. Can they do this? And will I have to leave earlier than the date said on the non-renewal notice? Help please :-(
You found your own place. Eviction was non payment of rent.

You as a tenant have remidies through code enforcement ,you did not utilize your options.

Go to court if summonsed show copies of your written request ,etc.

quincy

... In 2014 7/1/2014 I did not pay rent. I received notice of non-payment, then shortly after I received a letter stating Non-renewal of lease and I must vacate 30 days of the letter or 8/30/2014. ... After that I received a letter from the courts of eviction that was filed 7/29/2014. I'm clueless as to why if I have to leave anyway for renovations that they would file an eviction without notice, or at least something telling me they are going to file. Can they do this? ...
You failed to pay rent and you were sent a notice of non-payment and you were sent a non-renewal of lease notice and you were sent a letter advising you that you needed to vacate.

Why are you clueless as to why you have to leave?

You found your own place. Eviction was non payment of rent.

You as a tenant have remidies through code enforcement ,you did not utilize your options.

Go to court if summonsed show copies of your written request ,etc.
TY for your response :)
OK, but my request were submitted verbally over an answering machine. :(
But I do have the notice they sent me for non-renewal

You failed to pay rent and you were sent a notice of non-payment and you were sent a non-renewal of lease notice and you were sent a letter advising you that you needed to vacate.

Why are you clueless as to why you have to leave?
No not to why I have to leave, but why file eviction when I have received notice of non-renewal, to me seems as if they are trying to shorten my time of moving.

.....But TY for your response!

Last edited:

BL

No not to why I have to leave, but why file eviction when I have received notice of non-renewal, to me seems as if they are trying to shorten my time of moving.

.....But TY for your response!
They LL want's a money Judement ,plus it dings your rental record .

Sorry , you sat and emailed , didn't call proper authories ,IE: health Dept.,code enforcement ..

They LL want's a money Judement ,plus it dings your rental record .

Sorry , you sat and emailed , didn't call proper authories ,IE: health Dept.,code enforcement ..
Ok, TY! yes me more than you but....I will know better next time thanks to the response of BL!
When you know better you do better right! And that's what this forum is for learning, not degrading :) ;)

So from what i'm gathering from what you say, is that I will just have to pay.
So If i pay the rent for that month plus the late fee/court cost then the non-renewal will kick in? I should be good!
I don't want to waste my time bring a letter to court if it will do no good. :confused:

Last edited:

BL

Ok, TY! yes me more than you but....I will know better next time thanks to the response of BL!
When you know better you do better right! And that's what this forum is for learning, not degrading :) ;)

So from what i'm gathering from what you say, is that I will just have to pay.
So If i pay the rent for that month plus the late fee/court cost then the non-renewal will kick in? I should be good!
I don't want to waste my time bring a letter to court if it will do no good. :confused:
Defend yourself the best you can, send a RRR Certified letter as explained. Ya never know the outcome . Explain it all with holding up you yout proofs short breif in order and to the points.

Whatever happened to that poster Judge something ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">