• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord wants to restrict property usage 9 months into a 3 year lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WhiteMidnight

What is the name of your state?
Ohio

I am currently living in a duplex. The yard is sectioned off with fences so that part of it is attached to each unit. My side of the yard also has access to the garage. When I signed the lease I was given keys to the locks for both the fence gates and the garage. However, there is no mention in the lease about use of the garage or yard.

Now, my landlord wants to deny me access to the yard (because my daughter leaves a couple of toys outside once in a while). And has mentioned possibly denying access to the garage as well (no reason specified). I was wondering if this is legal. Does the landlord have to mention specific areas of the property in the lease, or do I have the right to use it simply because it is attached to the property that I am renting and is not specifically excluded in the lease?

Also, is the yard included in the "24 hours notice" required in order for the landlord to inspect the property? The way the yard is laid out it would have been impossible to see anything in the yard from the street. So the landlord would have had to come onto the property to see anything that was in the yard.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">