• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord will not return money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Monkeytorch

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Hello,
I recently rented a vacation rental for the weeks of August 20-27, 2005. I discovered I needed surgery then so I cancelled the week 30 days prior. In total I gave the owner $2550.00 for the week, $2300.00 for the rent and $250.00 damage deposit. I have the cashed checks. The Rental Agreement stated " if there is a cancellation and the unit can be re-rented for the same week, the entire amount will be refunded." Well, they did re-rent,( I saw it on their website) that week but now are refusing to give my money back to me, saying that they had to rent it for less and that they took a loss. I have tried to speak to them directly explaining that they wrote a contract that says I will get my money back but they have hung up on me and refused to return my money. I filed a small claims yesterday to get my money back. Is there anything else I should know. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you so much.

longneck

sounds like you did it correctly. good luck to you! just make sure you also included your court costs as part of your damages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">