• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord won't compensate for possible sewage leak

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmjdenver

Colorado: we have not been able to use our toilet for 12 hour periods twice in the past week due to plumbing issues. I live in an 8 unit apartment and one of the units is flushing wipes which is causing a clog and for water to come back up. We are not sure if this is just water or sewage coming up. Our landlord won't offer us compensation or another place to live until repairs are done because it's a tenant causing the problem. Do they have a right to withhold compensation if there is a possibility it could be us? Do we have a right to compensation in the first place? We know it's not us flushing wipes but I'm unsure how to prove that since it all goes to the same plumbing line. Thanks!

justalayman

The landlord must be given a reasonable time to remedy the issue before you are due anything.

Whomever is causing the issue can be held liable for all associated damages. That means they would be liable for the plumber and any compensation the landlord is obligated to pay out to others.

adjusterjack

Do we have a right to compensation in the first place?
Sorry, you're not entitled to compensation for every little thing that goes wrong in your life. I don't see the landlord being at fault for anything. He's doing the best he can with the situation.

cmjdenver

Sorry, you're not entitled to compensation for every little thing that goes wrong in your life. I don't see the landlord being at fault for anything. He's doing the best he can with the situation.
I think not having a flushable toilet for the past two days is more than a little problem.

cmjdenver

The landlord must be given a reasonable time to remedy the issue before you are due anything.

Whomever is causing the issue can be held liable for all associated damages. That means they would be liable for the plumber and any compensation the landlord is obligated to pay out to others.
What would be considered reasonable time in this case?

reenzz

I think not having a flushable toilet for the past two days is more than a little problem.
What have you been using as a toilet for the past two days?

Oh an BTW...my family went without a working toilet for two months during Sandy. My mortgage company did not put me up in a hotel, by my insurance company did. Do you have renters insurance?

LdiJ

What have you been using as a toilet for the past two days?

Oh an BTW...my family went without a working toilet for two months during Sandy. My mortgage company did not put me up in a hotel, by my insurance company did. Do you have renters insurance?
A mortgage company does not equate to a landlord. A mortgage company has no obligation to provide a habitable house or apartment, a landlord does.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">