• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord won't refund our security deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thepizzaguy

I live in New York State - Syracuse, NY
We rented an apartment from 1999 - 2005 our oral agreement with the landlord was to give him 30 days notice when we where leaving. No lease. We did this. Set up a date for a walk through of the apartment and he didn't show. We then took pictures of the apartment with a copy of the days newspaper in the picture. Had them developed. The apartment is in better than broom clean condition with some wall soot as we used to be smokers, but he knew this when we moved in. He called us told us "not good enough" and refused to refund the security deposit. My question is. How well does this place have to be to get our security deposit back? We scoured all all the apliances, mopped all the floors cleaned the sinks and toilet and vacummed the carpet completely and left the place completely empty. We sued him in small claims and are set to go to court in July. Do I have a case?

ENASNI

um

He "called" you and said not good enough? No letter nothing written? Did he ever tell you where your security deposit was being held.. What bank what account?
How clean? Hmm I ask my roommate that all the time.. She says "clean your bathroom" and I say... "I did", and she says .. "really?"

It needs to be in the same condition as when you moved in. The LL wants to be able to re-rent it without getting anybody in to clean up after you, (or have to do it themselves) But they need to give you an itemized deduction in writing of what they are taking out of your deposit.
Not a phone call.

T

thepizzaguy

um

actually we had to clean when we first moved in because there was still stuff from the previous tenants and crud on the floors and sink and the bathtub as I remember. Yes he called us. this was a very informal word of mouth type of relationship.

My biggest concern is he may have to repaint, but repainting is something every landlord has done before we have moved into an apartment. to me its standard "rehabitating" of a dwelling after a tennant leaves. What i really want to know is what does the law say?

thanks for your reply

ENASNI

Hmm

Okay Pizza Guy...

You have pictures right? You have nothing written from him with deductions right?
What you don't have is a pre-walk thru and what you don't have is a case about the painting... sorry.

Here read this thread... see if it helps a little, it might help your case, you may have one. Post back if further information required or can be given.
(oh, your Laws are pretty Vague... at least what I can find.)
Others may post as well, My fingers are getting tired!

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=249368

I miss New York Pizza... sigh...They put Pineapple on theirs out here in Cali... PINEAPPLE!!

longneck

ENASNI said:
I miss New York Pizza... sigh...They put Pineapple on theirs out here in Cali... PINEAPPLE!!
pineapple on pizza is good, provided you put some ham on there first. now when my moms orders a feta cheese pizza.... that's where i draw the line. ::BLEH::

Joy54

ENASNI is a very good person who offers good advice. However I don't agree about the payment for painting the place. Normal wear should be expected and especially after having lived there for years. I believe there is a law saying the landlord has to paint the place every so many years. It is alway good protection for both the Landlord and the tenant to have a written lease. Unfortunately there are so many people out there that you cannot trust

HomeGuru

thepizzaguy said:
I live in New York State - Syracuse, NY
We rented an apartment from 1999 - 2005 our oral agreement with the landlord was to give him 30 days notice when we where leaving. No lease. We did this. Set up a date for a walk through of the apartment and he didn't show. We then took pictures of the apartment with a copy of the days newspaper in the picture. Had them developed. The apartment is in better than broom clean condition with some wall soot as we used to be smokers, but he knew this when we moved in. He called us told us "not good enough" and refused to refund the security deposit. My question is. How well does this place have to be to get our security deposit back? We scoured all all the apliances, mopped all the floors cleaned the sinks and toilet and vacummed the carpet completely and left the place completely empty. We sued him in small claims and are set to go to court in July. Do I have a case?

**A: you would only have a case if L did not follow the L/T law in notifying you in writing regarding the disposition of your security deposit.
You are liable for painting since smoke damage was casued by you.

T

thepizzaguy

painting

ok i don't know now if i'm gonna follow through with this lawsuit or not. personally i think security deposits are the biggest scam since the original shell game. almost every one i have ever gotten back was fought for, and i don't think i have ever met someone who got theres back either oh well. I hope some other people do read this and respond i haven't made a decision yet. thanks for all your advice

laidback

the law is in your favor, take photos & get your $

New York Landlord Tenant Law - Click here to return to US Landlord
This site is designed as a guide to highlight some of the principal rights of residential tenants in this state. These rights are protected by a variety of State and local laws. In addition, those areas of the State which are subject to rent stabilization, rent control or other rent regulation, may have special rules applicable to certain dwellings. For example, rent stabilization laws apply in New York City and in certain communities in Nassau, Rockland and Westchester counties. Tenants are advised to consult a lawyer regarding particular situations of concern to them.

<b>RENT SECURITY DEPOSITS</b>
Virtually all leases require tenants to give their landlords a security deposit. The security deposit is usually one month's rent. The landlord must return the security deposit, less any lawful deduction, to the tenant at the end of the lease or within a reasonable time thereafter. A landlord may use the security deposit: (a) as reimbursement for the reasonable cost of repairs beyond normal wear and tear, if the tenant damages the apartment; or (b) as reimbursement for any unpaid rent.
Landlords, regardless of the number of units in the building, must treat the deposits as trust funds belonging to their tenants and they may not co-mingle deposits with their own money. Landlords of buildings with six or more apartments must put all security deposits in New York bank accounts earning interest at the prevailing rate. Each tenant must be informed in writing of the bank's name and address and the amount of the deposit. Landlords are entitled to annual administrative expenses of 1% of the deposit. All other interest earned on the deposits belongs to the tenants. Tenants must be given the option of having this interest paid to them annually, applied to rent, or paid at the end of the lease term. If the building has fewer than six apartments, a landlord who voluntarily places the security deposits in an interest bearing bank account must also follow these rules. For example: A tenant pays a security deposit of $400. The landlord places the deposit in an interest bearing bank account paying 2.5%. At the end of the year the account will have earned interest of $10.00. The tenant is entitled to $6.00 and the landlord may retain $4.00, 1% of the deposit, as an administrative fee.
If the building is sold, the landlord must transfer all security deposits to the new owner within five days, or return the security deposits to the tenants. Landlords must notify the tenants, by registered or certified mail, of the name and address of the new owner. Purchasers of rent stabilized buildings are directly responsible to tenants for the return of security deposits and any interest. This responsibility exists whether or not the new owner received the security deposits from the former landlord.
Purchasers of rent-controlled buildings or buildings containing six or more apartments where tenants have written leases are directly responsible to tenants for the return of security deposits and interest in cases where the purchaser has "actual knowledge" of the security deposits. The law defines specifically when a new owner is deemed to have "actual knowledge" of the security deposits.
When problems arise, tenants should first try to resolve them with the landlord before taking other action. If a dispute cannot be resolved, tenants may contact the nearest local office of the Attorney General, listed at the end of this booklet. (General Obligations Law, Article 7)
LEASE SUCCESSION OR TERMINATION

there are better sites that will explain the "normal wear & tear" law more thoroughly but I think you have a case if you lived there that long & all it needs is paint.

in all of my moves I only had one LL "try" to withhold my security.

if he/she sends a partial check & your not happy w/ it, dont cash it. get a court date, by cashing it you could be accepting what you got.

good luck

T

thepizzaguy

thank you

WOW!!! thank you for the input.. Very informative... I think now I will take the time off from work and go to that court appointment

thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">