• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord won't sign certified mail..(with rent)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

perpetualkarma

What is the name of your state? California

I have a problem with my landlord.
I informed them that the hot water heater was not working, and that it needed fixed,this issue never got fixed, and they never tried to fix it, so the agency who facilitated the lease told me to "repair and deduct" which I did. They also told me to request a refund of rent for the time that I was without hot water.I informed them that I was not paying 1 week of rent for the time that they did not fix this, as I could not shower, wash dishes, ect. They have never responded to multiple phone calls....

The following month, I got a call from the owner's sister, saying that they cannot accept the deduction that I took off the rent, because I pay my rent late every month (I send it on the 1st it is due on the 5th). There is no way it takes 5 days to get to them, the post office is 2 miles away!

In order to avoid any confusion in the future, I sent my rent certified mail, signature required, it was postmarked May 1. Yesterday it came back to me, they never signed for it...

Phone call to them remains unanswered.

What in the world is my next step?

BL

Take the landlord to Court , and see if the Judge will allow you the deduction .

Next time something needs repair try contacting the LL RRR CERTIFIED mail . If it comes back undelivered , don't open it , and call the build. inspectors .

If the LL takes you to Court , should them the unaccepted mail for request of repairs , and ask for deductions .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">